Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default patching holes

Spackling compound is best, but plaster would also work. I think
spackling contains some glue for better adhesion. With either, moisten
the hole before starting. I prefer using two thin patches to one thick,
as I think a thick patch is more likely to shrink or run. I trust you
have some primer and paint left. Suggest to your wife that this would,
next time, be better done before you do the painting.

If any of the holes is large, you should mount something behind the hole
to help hold the patch.

I must be getting old, but I've never bought either of these pre-mixed
on the theory that once you open the can, whatever you don't use is
wasted, as it will dry out.

On the other hand, I have a box of spackling that is well over thirty
years old. When I have a few holes or cracks to patch, I just mix a
little with water, then put the box back on the shelf.

Tony Pacc wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks