Posted to rec.woodworking

Default patching veneer sheet grain/knot holes

When purchasing 4 x 8 veneer sheets in a knotty type finish (alder) are the
knots usually filled in by the manufacturer...or is this normally done by
the end user ? I purchased a sample sheet from Woodworkers Source...and
most of the rough knots appeared to be already "puttied" or "filled" with
some filler and then sanded along with the rest of the sheets. I just
unwrapped 1/2 dozen sheets from another local supplier ( American Hardwoods,
Phoenix) and all the sheets have no patching or filling in of the bad
knots. You can see the paper backing and the light shadow if you hold
them up to the light and look from the paper side ?

Is this normal...or did a get 1/2 dozen rejects from the yard. If normal
and I need to "patch" the knot holes where the paper shows through...what do
I use to match the alder and "fill in" the knots ?

Thanks, Tim

Cutting or punching square holes in steel sheet? Q Metalworking 17 February 9th 04 05:38 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Foundation holes Mat and Suzy Home Repair 4 September 8th 03 11:48 PM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 04:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM