Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crawl space moisture

hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can buy plastic on a wide roll and push it with poles. Or get a
skinny miget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence, thanks for the reply. By excess moisture I mean, the house
(~ 700 square ft), smells musty and the cellar door (iron) has a ton of
condensation on it when you open. The small cellar (~ 100 square foot)
also smell very musty. The home too seems to have a lot of moisture
(crackers, chips, etc go stale quickly) which I presume to be coming
from the crawl space. Any ideas?

Lawrence wrote:
wrote:
hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thank

Thats a tough problem. 16" is not enough room for anyone to do a lot
of work under there. You say you have "excess moisture". Exactly
what type of problem is this moisture creating?

Posted to alt.home.repair

m, thanks, interesting suggestion, but not all of the space is
available through the sellar to push roles through (only two areas to
access the rest of crawl space). And don't know of any ultra thin
folks either :-)
m Ransley wrote:
You can buy plastic on a wide roll and push it with poles. Or get a
skinny miget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

have you tried a fan, to keep the air moving?

--

IF you are still republican................
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html

"klaudon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark, thanks for responding. It has an earth floor in the crawl space
portion (about 600 square feet) of the 700 square foot home. I would
install a barrier but there is almost no room to work with only 16
inches height in crawl space with plumbing and duct work in the way on
top of it.

Mark wrote:
wrote:
hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

it has exposed earth for a floor?

if so you need a vapor barrier...

Mark

Economical & efficient heating system for mod ranch with crawl space in Maine [email protected] Home Ownership 5 August 18th 06 02:17 AM
Weeping wall in crawl space [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 7th 06 12:45 PM
crawl space dehumidifier dblho39 Home Ownership 0 May 11th 06 07:38 PM
CRAWL SPACE theo Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 01:32 PM
Romex in crawl space no junction box/outlet box etc Chuck Home Repair 7 April 4th 05 07:49 AM