Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

Default Economical & efficient heating system for mod ranch with crawl space in Maine

New to this board, but could use some advice here...

We just bought our first home 2 weeks ago and know nothing about
heating systems. The house is a 1987 modular ranch (not mobile), about
1,300 sq ft. on a slab with about 3 - 4 ft crawl space over that and 9
floor vents. There is an extremely musty smell coming from the floor
vents. My husband tried to open the vents and clean under them into
the ducts a bit--he found some remnants of insulation inside the vents
while he was at it--but that didn't help the smell at all.

So we went into the crawl space and found that there aren't actually
any ducts running under the house--it appears to be just insulation
that is taped together to form ducts. The insulation under the floor
joists also needs to be replaced.

We have very little money and small children, so our options here are
limited. As I see it, here are our options:

1. Remove all of the insulations and "ducts" ourselves and install
real ductwork and new insulation ourselves. Not sure how big of a job
this is or if we are even allowed to do that kind of thing--permits,
building code, etc.

2. Hire an energy contractor to remove all that stuff and install new
ducts.

3. Remove all that stuff ourselves and either hire someone or on our
own install tubing for liquid radiant floor heating since we'll have
the joists exposed underneath anyways. We have a propane burner for
our hot water heather and an oil furnace for the FHA heat. Would we
need another water tank for radiant heat? Any idea on cost?

4. Hire a plumber to install baseboard heating--but would we need a
boiler?

5. Some kind of solar heating system?

We don't really want to do wall heaters because of two toddlers in the
house--I would be concerned about keeping them away so they don't get
hurt or burnt--plus they're an eyesore.

Either way, we need to remove what is under the house or seal off the
vents to keep the smell out of the house.

Any advice from you experienced home-owners, do-it-yourself-ers and
contractors would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

On 16 Aug 2006 08:29:15 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Teach the children to install ductwork. They should be able
to stand up in there with no problem.

2. Hire an energy contractor to remove all that stuff and install new
ducts.

That's what you need to do. Have them check out your entire
system.

We don't really want to do wall heaters because of two toddlers in the
house--I would be concerned about keeping them away so they don't get
hurt or burnt--plus they're an eyesore.

Lady, I can't help it if your kids are ugly.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

New to this board, but could use some advice here...

We just bought our first home 2 weeks ago and know nothing about
heating systems. The house is a 1987 modular ranch (not mobile), about

1,300 sq ft. on a slab with about 3 - 4 ft crawl space over that and 9
floor vents. There is an extremely musty smell coming from the floor
vents. My husband tried to open the vents and clean under them into
the ducts a bit--he found some remnants of insulation inside the vents
while he was at it--but that didn't help the smell at all.

So we went into the crawl space and found that there aren't actually
any ducts running under the house--it appears to be just insulation
that is taped together to form ducts. The insulation under the floor
joists also needs to be replaced.

Didn't you have the home inspected BEFORE you bought it? This is a
serious defect that any half way competent home inspector would have
found. You hosed yourself big time by not finding this before buying
it.

First thing I would do is get a home inspector in there ASAP. Anyone
that had a house with this, God only knows what else there is waiting
to be found. And I'd check with a good real estate lawyer regarding
what the disclosure laws are in your state. I'd also find out who has
been servicing it, if possible. Many times it's the same company that
delivers oil, if it's oil based. Talk to them as they may be valuable
in establishing what the seller knew about the existing system. If you
can show they knew the system didn't even have proper ducts, you may
have a good case for suing the seller, possibly in small claims.

As to what to do with the heating system, that's impossible to say
without knowing the whole story. If it's a crap furnace with no
ducts, then you need a whole new system. Which way to go depends on
many factors, but the most cost effective would likely be a new
properly installed forced air system.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 16 Aug 2006 08:29:15 -0700, someone wrote:

We just bought our first home 2 weeks ago and know nothing....

Yup! But ya gotta start learning somewhere. Too bad it was AFTER you
had made the purchase.

.... there aren't actually
any ducts running under the house--it appears to be just insulation
that is taped together to form ducts.

Huh? Wow! Ya sure? It's not insulation around flex ducts is it?

The insulation under the floor
joists also needs to be replaced.

Why do you think that? What is wrong with it?

We have very little money and small children, so our options here are
limited. As I see it, here are our options:

If you have very litle money, why are you listing options that require
new baseboards, or new tubing, that would both need a new boiler?
Since you already have a hot air furnace, why not use that and only
fix what needs to be fixed, which you say is the ducts, but have them
checked out.

It may not be like you are saying.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You need a proper evaluation of your system and recommendation/estimate for
what it will take to fix it.

You don't need a salesman. You need a qualified technician.

You've already gotten ****ed hard buying the house. My guess is that the
****ing isn't over yet.

Sorry/Good luck.

Posted to alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

plus they're an eyesore.

Lady, I can't help it if your kids are ugly.

Ha ha I didn't catch that. I guess I will have to read more carefully and read
before posting because I seam to be mising alott of stuf.
--
Tekkie

Crawl Space Insulation ebvolk Home Repair 3 December 15th 03 06:37 AM
Gravity fed Central Heating System Woes Kev Parkin UK diy 4 October 22nd 03 11:23 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Underfloor heating SC UK diy 112 August 27th 03 02:12 PM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM