DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   crawl space moisture (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182781-crawl-space-moisture.html)

[email protected] November 15th 06 10:07 PM

crawl space moisture

hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lawrence November 15th 06 10:28 PM

crawl space moisture

wrote:
hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thank

Thats a tough problem. 16" is not enough room for anyone to do a lot
of work under there. You say you have "excess moisture". Exactly
what type of problem is this moisture creating?

Mark November 15th 06 10:29 PM

crawl space moisture

wrote:
hi, I have excess moisture in my old house (~ 1930s) crawl space. It
has a very small cellar and the rest is a crawl space that is only
about 16 inches and includes plenty of barriers such as ducts and
plumbing, and has only 2 vents. It seems that it would be good to
place a vapor barrier and possibly close vents and possibly add a
dehumidifier BUT due to the low crawl space it would be somewhere
between extremely difficult to impossible to install a vapor barrier.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

it has exposed earth for a floor?

if so you need a vapor barrier...

Mark

m Ransley November 15th 06 10:59 PM

crawl space moisture

You can buy plastic on a wide roll and push it with poles. Or get a
skinny miget.

klaudon November 16th 06 05:23 AM

crawl space moisture

Lawrence, thanks for the reply. By excess moisture I mean, the house
(~ 700 square ft), smells musty and the cellar door (iron) has a ton of
condensation on it when you open. The small cellar (~ 100 square foot)
also smell very musty. The home too seems to have a lot of moisture
(crackers, chips, etc go stale quickly) which I presume to be coming
from the crawl space. Any ideas?

klaudon November 16th 06 05:26 AM

crawl space moisture

Mark, thanks for responding. It has an earth floor in the crawl space
portion (about 600 square feet) of the 700 square foot home. I would
install a barrier but there is almost no room to work with only 16
inches height in crawl space with plumbing and duct work in the way on
top of it.

klaudon November 16th 06 05:29 AM

crawl space moisture

m, thanks, interesting suggestion, but not all of the space is
available through the sellar to push roles through (only two areas to
access the rest of crawl space). And don't know of any ultra thin
folks either :-)

readandpostrosie November 16th 06 03:12 PM

crawl space moisture

have you tried a fan, to keep the air moving?

--

IF you are still republican................
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html

oups.com...