Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC to DC Converter

Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

650 amps at 12 volts is 6500+1300=7800 watts of power, DC.
The rectifier (converting AC to DC) as well as a transformer (step
down from AC power voltage to 12 volts DC) will have some losses as
well. I believe that you will find such a rectifier to be impossibly
expensive for such an application. So costly that several alternatives
become affordable:
- Another battery, kept charged
- A small winch driven by a suitably geared gasoline engine
- A suitable tow line capable of attachment to a vehicle

There is no information regarding the anticipated current drawn by the
winch at stall speed, nor is the effective load of the boat (including
both friction drag and angle of incline on the railway).
Surely the winch does not demand maximum battery current along the
entire hauling path.

On 13 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buy a large battery charger. I have one with 200 amp boost. My 200 amp
boost charger will start my van with a stone dead battery. cranking my
caravans engine at zero degrees a winch will be childs play

Posted to alt.home.repair

buy a large battery charger. I have one with 200 amp boost. My 200 amp
boost charger will start my van with a stone dead battery. cranking my
caravans engine at zero degrees a winch will be childs play

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement.

The battery doesn't tell you the motor requirements. All you know is that
it exceeds them.

DC power supplies are expensive. Upwards of $1 per watt, and you need many
hundreds of watts.

Why bother at all? Just borrow a battery from another vehicle if yours
fails. Even a spare battery would be far cheaper than a DC power supply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:
Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Unfortunately, Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of battery capacity to
store energy, not an indication of how much current it can supply at
any given time. See if you can find an actual current requirement on
the winch, i.e. number of amps.

If not, you would be better off buying an automotive battery
recharger. One that is capable of 'boosting' or starting a vehicle,
would have no problem running a 12V winch. For that matter, if you can
get your car close enough, you could use a good set of jumper cables
from the car battery to power the winch.

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
In article .com,
wrote:
Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Unfortunately, Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of battery capacity to
store energy, not an indication of how much current it can supply at
any given time. See if you can find an actual current requirement on
the winch, i.e. number of amps.

No, "Cold Cranking Amps" is the maximum current the battery will
supply at some given (low) temperature. This is the current it
will supply to a locked-rotor starter. The "Amp Hour" rating is
the measure of the capacity of the battery to store energy.

If not, you would be better off buying an automotive battery
recharger. One that is capable of 'boosting' or starting a vehicle,
would have no problem running a 12V winch. For that matter, if you can
get your car close enough, you could use a good set of jumper cables
from the car battery to power the winch.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

As others have pointed out, the CCA rating doesn't help. I suggest you
buy a cheap ammeter at the auto parts store and measure the current draw
of your new winch, (including when it is locked - trying to pull
something that simply won't move.) Then you can consider whether to buy
a battery charger, extra battery, or AC-DC converter.

wrote:
Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your math doesn't addup. Watts equals amps times volts.

Be nice to know the actual current draw of the winch under full load.
The battery charger with the 12 volt boost setting sounds like one
good answer. Spare battery sounds even better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tom Kendrick" wrote in message
650 amps at 12 volts is 6500+1300=7800 watts of power, DC.
The rectifier (converting AC to DC) as well as a transformer (step
down from AC power voltage to 12 volts DC) will have some losses as
well. I believe that you will find such a rectifier to be impossibly
expensive for such an application. So costly that several alternatives
become affordable:
- Another battery, kept charged
- A small winch driven by a suitably geared gasoline engine
- A suitable tow line capable of attachment to a vehicle

There is no information regarding the anticipated current drawn by the
winch at stall speed, nor is the effective load of the boat (including
both friction drag and angle of incline on the railway).
Surely the winch does not demand maximum battery current along the
entire hauling path.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oddly enough, cold cranking amps *IS* a measure of how much amperage
it can supply.

If you want the total battery capacity, you want the "reserve
capacity" which is often expressed as 90 minutes at 25 amps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

Unfortunately, Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of battery capacity to
store energy, not an indication of how much current it can supply at
any given time. See if you can find an actual current requirement on
the winch, i.e. number of amps.

If not, you would be better off buying an automotive battery
recharger. One that is capable of 'boosting' or starting a vehicle,
would have no problem running a 12V winch. For that matter, if you can
get your car close enough, you could use a good set of jumper cables
from the car battery to power the winch.

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin
Franklin
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Your math doesn't addup. Watts equals amps times volts.

I think that's what he did. 650*12=650*(10+2)=6500+1300=7800

Be nice to know the actual current draw of the winch under full load.
The battery charger with the 12 volt boost setting sounds like one
good answer. Spare battery sounds even better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:39:05 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Oddly enough, cold cranking amps *IS* a measure of how much amperage
it can supply.

For a limited time, just enough time to start an engine.

If you want the total battery capacity, you want the "reserve
capacity" which is often expressed as 90 minutes at 25 amps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
.. .

Unfortunately, Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of battery capacity to
store energy, not an indication of how much current it can supply at
any given time. See if you can find an actual current requirement on
the winch, i.e. number of amps.

If not, you would be better off buying an automotive battery
recharger. One that is capable of 'boosting' or starting a vehicle,
would have no problem running a 12V winch. For that matter, if you can
get your car close enough, you could use a good set of jumper cables
from the car battery to power the winch.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

Oddly enough, cold cranking amps *IS* a measure of how much amperage
it can supply.

For a limited time, just enough time to start an engine.

How long does it take to winch a boat?

If you want the total battery capacity, you want the "reserve
capacity" which is often expressed as 90 minutes at 25 amps.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

wrote in message
. ..

Unfortunately, Cold Cranking Amps is a measure of battery capacity to
store energy, not an indication of how much current it can supply at
any given time. See if you can find an actual current requirement on
the winch, i.e. number of amps.

If not, you would be better off buying an automotive battery
recharger. One that is capable of 'boosting' or starting a vehicle,
would have no problem running a 12V winch. For that matter, if you can
get your car close enough, you could use a good set of jumper cables

from the car battery to power the winch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:30:09 GMT, Tom Kendrick
wrote:

650 amps at 12 volts is 6500+1300=7800 watts of power, DC.

I don't think a 650 CCA battery puts out 650 amps at one time.
Everything would melt.

To the OP, I don't think it is called a converter unless it goes from
DC to AC. From AC to DC it is called a rectifier, even if that is
only part of it.

On 13 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to mm :
I don't think a 650 CCA battery puts out 650 amps at one time.
Everything would melt.

It _can_, more or less. Whether it'll melt is up to how you've
connected it.

To the OP, I don't think it is called a converter unless it goes from
DC to AC. From AC to DC it is called a rectifier, even if that is
only part of it.

The OP is using informal terminology. "Converting 120VAC to 12VDC"
is what he's trying to do. A rectifier converts AC to DC, but without
a voltage change.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Bennett Price :
As others have pointed out, the CCA rating doesn't help. I suggest you
buy a cheap ammeter at the auto parts store and measure the current draw
of your new winch, (including when it is locked - trying to pull
something that simply won't move.) Then you can consider whether to buy
a battery charger, extra battery, or AC-DC converter.

Trying to stall a winch can be rather hazardous.

Finding the amp rating of a comparable winch should serve for
a good ballpark number.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, get some batteries. Store them charged.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

batteries large enough limit it to lead acid, which have a finite life
with declining poer over time, shouldnt be stored discharged and they
go dead just sitting around and after such discharge dont recover their
previous capacity......

probably better off with a 12 volt generator.

you could buy a large battery charger and try it in use. if its not
good enough return to store.

my 200 amp boost says it supplies 60 amps at 12

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yes, get some batteries. Store them charged.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

batteries large enough limit it to lead acid, which have a finite life
with declining poer over time, shouldnt be stored discharged and they
go dead just sitting around and after such discharge dont recover their
previous capacity......

probably better off with a 12 volt generator.

you could buy a large battery charger and try it in use. if its not
good enough return to store.

my 200 amp boost says it supplies 60 amps at 12

Someone had the best idea. Just jump from your car battery if necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:

Yes, get some batteries. Store them charged.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

batteries large enough limit it to lead acid, which have a finite life
with declining poer over time, shouldnt be stored discharged and they
go dead just sitting around and after such discharge dont recover their
previous capacity......

probably better off with a 12 volt generator.

Generators can also deteriorate if not run regularly, and cost more than
batteries.

you could buy a large battery charger and try it in use. if its not
good enough return to store.

my 200 amp boost says it supplies 60 amps at 12

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Rich256 wrote:

wrote:

Yes, get some batteries. Store them charged.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

batteries large enough limit it to lead acid, which have a finite life
with declining poer over time, shouldnt be stored discharged and they
go dead just sitting around and after such discharge dont recover their
previous capacity......

probably better off with a 12 volt generator.

you could buy a large battery charger and try it in use. if its not
good enough return to store.

my 200 amp boost says it supplies 60 amps at 12

Someone had the best idea. Just jump from your car battery if necessary.

That can also have a couple of downsides, though --

if you're not careful, you can discharge your car battery and strand
yourself

it's not always possible to move a car into a suitable position to use
it that way

Maybe one could use the BOAT's battery (if it has one)?