Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price Bennett Price is offline

Default AC to DC Converter

As others have pointed out, the CCA rating doesn't help. I suggest you
buy a cheap ammeter at the auto parts store and measure the current draw
of your new winch, (including when it is locked - trying to pull
something that simply won't move.) Then you can consider whether to buy
a battery charger, extra battery, or AC-DC converter.

wrote:
Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.