Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default AC to DC Converter

On 13 Nov 2006 17:50:52 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I use a 12 volt winch to pull my boat up on a marine railway at
my seasonal cottage in Canada. I do not have permanent AC power to the
location, but can get a big enough extension cord to it if need be. I
want to buy a more powerful winch which requires a battery rated at "12
VDC - 650 Cold Cranking Amps" which is not a problem. I would like to
buy a back-up 12 volt AC to DC converter to power the winch if the
battery fails. Please advise on how to rate the converter based on the
battery requirement. Much thanks! D. MacQueen.

Does any of the documentation with that winch tell how much current it
uses? Probably a lot less than that CCA rating (which is for a few
seconds).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams