Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet keeps runnng. prefered style?

I replace the guts in my toilet tank.
The old one was a ball on a shaft the floated up to stop the water flow. The
new one I bought has no float, I'm not sure what causes the water to stop
flowing but whatever it is its not working to well...
We came home the othernight and the tank had been running for about 5 hours.
It filled my septic system and started overflowing into the basement. only a
couple of gallons before we got hom and discovered it.

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.
I dont want to keep telling the kids to wait and make shure the toilet stops
runing before they leave the house...

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"comcastss news groups" wrote in
:

I replace the guts in my toilet tank.
The old one was a ball on a shaft the floated up to stop the water
flow. The new one I bought has no float, I'm not sure what causes the
water to stop flowing but whatever it is its not working to well...
We came home the othernight and the tank had been running for about 5
hours. It filled my septic system and started overflowing into the
basement. only a couple of gallons before we got hom and discovered
it.

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.
I dont want to keep telling the kids to wait and make shure the toilet
stops runing before they leave the house...

TIA

Steve

If a running toilet made your septic overflow into the basement the
toilet is the last of your worries. It's just the straw that broke the
camel's (septic tank/system) back.

Get a septic service out there and pull the covers for a pumping and
inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.

Fluid master is the new standard, and while not fool proof, they give a
lot of service between repairs. I've noticed a lot of toliets now come
with them from the factory.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.

Fluid master is the new standard, and while not fool proof, they give a
lot of service between repairs. I've noticed a lot of toliets now come
with them from the factory.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html

I have a toilet with the fluid master and the darn float will not go up
far enough to shut the water off. No good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a toilet with the fluid master and the darn float will not go up
far enough to shut the water off. No good.

I was an early adopter, and they do have their flaws, but nothing
compared to a ball cock or those little pressure operated valves. Is
the float adjusted properly? There is a slide on the metal rod that
sets that. I've also found a little faucet grease on the body where the
float slides does all the good

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 13 Nov 2006 14:05:40 -0800, "Eric in North TX"
wrote:

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.

Fluid master is the new standard, and while not fool proof, they give a
lot of service between repairs. I've noticed a lot of toliets now come
with them from the factory.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html

What *was* wrong with the kind he used to have, the floating metal
ball on a horizontal rod? I had those for years before I got to NY**
and they seemed to work fine.

**Most apartment buildings in NY have flushometers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:

I have a toilet with the fluid master and the darn float will not go up
far enough to shut the water off. No good.

I was an early adopter, and they do have their flaws, but nothing
compared to a ball cock or those little pressure operated valves. Is
the float adjusted properly? There is a slide on the metal rod that
sets that. I've also found a little faucet grease on the body where the
float slides does all the good

Thats what I will try. It's as if it isn't lubed up enough. I agree
though, better design than the ol ball cock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got my last couple toilet valves at Home Cheepo. Came with
instructions on how to adjust the water level.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a Fluidmaster Leak Sentry Pro-Fill Valve (400LS). It has a device
that, once the tank has been refilled, will not allow any more water to
fill the tank until you trip the handle. The tank then fills. You then
trip the handle again to flush. This alerts you to the fact that the
stopper didn't work.

I got mine from Hone Depot. Wal-Mart doesn't carry the one with this
feature (the 400 LS). The only negative was that the adjustment for
this feature is tricky and somewhat time consuming, but if I can keep
the thing from running, it's time well spent. Aggravating, though.

John

comcastss news groups wrote:
I replace the guts in my toilet tank.
The old one was a ball on a shaft the floated up to stop the water flow. The
new one I bought has no float, I'm not sure what causes the water to stop
flowing but whatever it is its not working to well...
We came home the othernight and the tank had been running for about 5 hours.
It filled my septic system and started overflowing into the basement. only a
couple of gallons before we got hom and discovered it.

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.
I dont want to keep telling the kids to wait and make shure the toilet stops
runing before they leave the house...

TIA

Steve

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
intermittent weak flush on toilet Timo Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 01:40 PM
Question about New Kohler Toilet ... Linda W. Home Repair 11 March 10th 04 08:09 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM