Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Toilet keeps runnng. prefered style?

"comcastss news groups" wrote in
:

I replace the guts in my toilet tank.
The old one was a ball on a shaft the floated up to stop the water
flow. The new one I bought has no float, I'm not sure what causes the
water to stop flowing but whatever it is its not working to well...
We came home the othernight and the tank had been running for about 5
hours. It filled my septic system and started overflowing into the
basement. only a couple of gallons before we got hom and discovered
it.

My question is:

What is the best/most reliable unit to put into the tank.
I dont want to keep telling the kids to wait and make shure the toilet
stops runing before they leave the house...

TIA

Steve

If a running toilet made your septic overflow into the basement the
toilet is the last of your worries. It's just the straw that broke the
camel's (septic tank/system) back.

Get a septic service out there and pull the covers for a pumping and
inspection.