Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes Dryer Vent Connection

I have never been able to make a good connection
from my dryer to the 4" metal vent. I am using
a flexible aluminum tube right now, but every time
I move the dryer it comes loose. I even have the
one with one end crimped down so it will fit into
the vent pipe.

Can anyone suggest a method to make the connection
at least semipermanent?

Thanks a lot.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Mine goes OVER the vent pipe, and is held there with a hose clamp, the type
you screw tight.

Keith
"BillGill" wrote in message
I have never been able to make a good connection
from my dryer to the 4" metal vent. I am using
a flexible aluminum tube right now, but every time
I move the dryer it comes loose. I even have the
one with one end crimped down so it will fit into
the vent pipe.

Can anyone suggest a method to make the connection
at least semipermanent?

Thanks a lot.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also drill a couple small holes through the vent pipe and the collar
on the back of the dryer and run some sheet metal screws into the holes.
Disadvantages: It limits the ability to quickly move the dryer, and also can
act as a lint "trap" if the screws protrude into the pipe, but it will
prevent the connection from vibrating apart.

Smarty

"BillGill" wrote in message
I have never been able to make a good connection
from my dryer to the 4" metal vent. I am using
a flexible aluminum tube right now, but every time
I move the dryer it comes loose. I even have the
one with one end crimped down so it will fit into
the vent pipe.

Can anyone suggest a method to make the connection
at least semipermanent?

Thanks a lot.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either sheet metal screws (as another poster suggested) or use the Al (not
the Al coated fabric tape but pure Al metal) to hold the connections
together.

If you bite the bullet and replace the flexible vent with rigid vent you
can put an elbow at the dryer and keep that connection in place just by
backing the dryer into the connection. All other connections would be
semi-permanent (Al tape or screws). You can usually route rigid vent pipe
anywhere you can run flex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
Either sheet metal screws (as another poster suggested) or use the Al (not
the Al coated fabric tape but pure Al metal) to hold the connections
together.

If you bite the bullet and replace the flexible vent with rigid vent you
can put an elbow at the dryer and keep that connection in place just by
backing the dryer into the connection. All other connections would be
semi-permanent (Al tape or screws). You can usually route rigid vent pipe
anywhere you can run flex.

You may be able to back the dryer into the vent, but I
am way to big to slide behind the dryer to guide the
dryer and vent together while I am out in front sliding
it in.

I think I will see about the plastic sleeve somebody
mentioned.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I tried the plastic sleeve type. Unfortunately it was designed to fit 2
different dryer vent sizes and used a felt filler for fastening onto a new
Kenmore gas dryer. Felt dried up in a few months and vent fell off. Ripped
off the plastic piece and got a hose clamp to put metal end on dryer the old
fashion way.

"BillGill" wrote in message
John Gilmer wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:
I have never been able to make a good connection
from my dryer to the 4" metal vent. I am using
a flexible aluminum tube right now, but every time
I move the dryer it comes loose. I even have the
one with one end crimped down so it will fit into
the vent pipe.

Can anyone suggest a method to make the connection
at least semipermanent?

Use rigid metal. Put an elbow right at the dryer and a section of
rigid to a point where you can access it easily. The rigid vent and
elbow are permanently attached to the dryer with metal foil tape and
some strapping to hold the rigid vent in place so it doesn't more
around. Then all you have to deal with is the connection at the end of
the rigid metal and that's now in a location where you can get to it
easily.