Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Caught another possum....

This one was more interesting with better looking features, either it
was older, the other gender or it was sporting a winter coat. First
off, it tried to "play possum" on me....Well, it worked so well that I
have my doubts as to whether this is a conscious act on their part.
Based on the amount of shouting, hand clapping, cage shaking and the
lack of response from the critter, I'm convinced it's not conscious
while playing possum even if it's a self induced state.

It could also be an involuntary mechanism triggered by fear. Whatever,
the animal would have to undergo an extreme altered state of
consciousness if it was pretending IMO. Furthermore, people have cited
cases where they are run over by tractors and farm machinery while
playing possum so it seems that there isn't a conscious "one eye left
open" if this is some pretentious act of self preservation. In other
words, when a possum "plays possum" it lacks the shrewdness of a great
pretender.

This one had shorter jaws and fluffy fur and reminded me of a bear.
Looked like something one would want to keep as a pet if these weren't
wild animals. It trembled when we approached the cage (except when it
was playing possum). I was also able to get a good look at its
prehensile tail. Here are some pictures;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297010/large

(Warning: The one below is large and requires panning but gives closeup
equivalent)
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297010/original

(Closeup of tail only without the need to pan)
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297015/large

Posted to alt.home.repair

THO wrote:
In article t,
"Art" wrote:

They love slugs so they are nice wildlife to keep around the garden.

Skunks love slugs too. Unfortunately they made my lawn look like it had
been carpet bombed.

I've caught a couple and released to park. I was out to get groundhogs
and raccoons which I also took to park along with several squirrels.
Is possum harmless enough to release back to yard? It's a pain to have
to give all these animals a ride to the park

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've caught a couple and released to park.

What's the best way to handle skunks? We're really after groundhogs and
our greatest fear is trapping a skunk even if it's just to let it go on
the spot, much less to carry anywhere in a vehicle. I know they're
around based on their smell at nights every now and again.

Frank wrote:

I've caught a couple and released to park. I was out to get groundhogs
and raccoons which I also took to park along with several squirrels.
Is possum harmless enough to release back to yard? It's a pain to have
to give all these animals a ride to the park

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've caught a couple and released to park.

What's the best way to handle skunks? We're really after groundhogs and
our greatest fear is trapping a skunk even if it's just to let it go on
the spot, much less to carry anywhere in a vehicle. I know they're
around based on their smell at nights every now and again.

A good shotgun (loaded with blanks if you don't want to hurt them). Skunks
are like cats, they are curious and predatory. I've heard they even make
good pets - once you remove the scent gland. Personally, having been
sprayed while out hiking and having to deal with them on the farm, I'm more
inclined to scare them off.
But that's just my own opinion.

Frank wrote:

I've caught a couple and released to park. I was out to get groundhogs
and raccoons which I also took to park along with several squirrels.
Is possum harmless enough to release back to yard? It's a pain to have
to give all these animals a ride to the park

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've caught a couple and released to park. I was out to get groundhogs
and raccoons which I also took to park along with several squirrels.
Is possum harmless enough to release back to yard? It's a pain to have
to give all these animals a ride to the park

Mostly harmless. They'll eat any pet food available.

They are also the gypsy of the animal world. They'll leave on their own
after a few days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote in message ...

"Frank" wrote in message
roups.com...
I've caught a couple and released to park. I was out to get

groundhogs
and raccoons which I also took to park along with several squirrels.
Is possum harmless enough to release back to yard? It's a pain to

have
to give all these animals a ride to the park

Mostly harmless. They'll eat any pet food available.

They are also the gypsy of the animal world. They'll leave on their own
after a few days.

Never left mine, dug big holes, and made a general mess. Relocated a
couple of them to a state park. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

THO wrote in
:

In article t,
"Art" wrote:

They love slugs so they are nice wildlife to keep around the garden.

Skunks love slugs too. Unfortunately they made my lawn look like it
had been carpet bombed.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Slugs? Never heard that. But have heard and read that grubs are primo.

And if it is in fact grubs that they are after, they are doing you a
favor. The grubs will do far more damage than the skunk pot holes.

Remove the food source and skunks will stop digging. They dig because thy
smell the grugs below the soil.

And yes they do make good pets. Knew a woman who had two. Very people
oriented. Very mischievous and playful. Even use a litter box like cats
do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I enjoy skunks groundhogs rabbits possums etc in my yard. got dogs all
the animal life left the area......

deer damaged a tree, sad but its replaceable. rabbits occasionally sit
on outside of fence eating seeemingly enjoying bugging my dogs.

woof woof woof.........

had a pet rabbit that would do that to my neighbors dog......... just
to bug him.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
NSN NSN is offline

On 29 Oct 2006 16:39:31 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

wrote:
I've caught a couple and released to park.

What's the best way to handle skunks? We're really after groundhogs and
our greatest fear is trapping a skunk even if it's just to let it go on
the spot, much less to carry anywhere in a vehicle. I know they're
around based on their smell at nights every now and again.

I caught a skunk in a homemade trap. I was after groundhog and was
going to drop off on way to work. Went to work and called Fish and
Game Dept. and they said it was not a game animal and to call an
exterminator. Exterminator wanted $200 (this was several years ago and
would probably be double today). Wife put on rain gear and went out
and opened trap and ran.
Skunk stayed in trap for a while and ambled off and did not spray.
Heard since that they will not spray if confined and best thing to do
is throw a tarp over them and haul them off. Damned if I'd put in the
trunk of my car though
Frank

I caught a skunk two months ago in a trap. It was tearing up my lawn
looking for grubs. Cute little guy. I called the city. The referred me
to the county (Riverside) who has an animal control unit.

Once a skunk is caught in the area it CANNOT be released .. rabies.
This is the law. They sent out a truck with two guys and a supply of
Pentobarbital. They put a tarp over the cage and took the critter to
a vacant lot. There they euthanized him with a syringe loaded with the
Pentobarbital. The syringe was on the end of a long rod. The tarp
remained on the cage and they worked around it VERY carefully.

At no time did the skunk spray. I felt bad that he had to be
euthanized but had no choice in the matter. There was no charge by the
county so I donated $50 to the guys. No, they did not pocket it ..
gave me a receipt and all.

Norm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heard since that they will not spray if confined and best thing to do
is throw a tarp over them and haul them off.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Frank wrote:

I caught a skunk in a homemade trap. I was after groundhog and was
going to drop off on way to work. Went to work and called Fish and
Game Dept. and they said it was not a game animal and to call an
exterminator. Exterminator wanted $200 (this was several years ago and
would probably be double today). Wife put on rain gear and went out
and opened trap and ran.
Skunk stayed in trap for a while and ambled off and did not spray.
Heard since that they will not spray if confined and best thing to do
is throw a tarp over them and haul them off. Damned if I'd put in the
trunk of my car though
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Skunk stayed in trap for a while and ambled off and did not spray.
Heard since that they will not spray if confined and best thing to do
is throw a tarp over them and haul them off. Damned if I'd put in the
trunk of my car though
Frank

I've heard that they need to set their feet, hunch their back, and
raise their tail in order to spray. If they can't do that, they can't
spray. Being confined in a small space would prevent that. Along the
same thought, I've heard that if you lift him off the ground by the
tail they can't set their feet, so can't spray. Anyone willing to
prove or disprove that theory??

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Frank wrote:

Skunk stayed in trap for a while and ambled off and did not spray.
Heard since that they will not spray if confined and best thing to do
is throw a tarp over them and haul them off. Damned if I'd put in the
trunk of my car though
Frank

I've heard that they need to set their feet, hunch their back, and
raise their tail in order to spray. If they can't do that, they can't
spray. Being confined in a small space would prevent that. Along the
same thought, I've heard that if you lift him off the ground by the
tail they can't set their feet, so can't spray. Anyone willing to
prove or disprove that theory??

No it isn't true. I've been sprayed by a surprised skunk before and he
wasn't doing a handstand at the time. Consider the purpose of the spraying,
its a defensive mechanism and something like turning, standing on your hands
and posing your tail isn't something you could do under duress and being
attacked by a wolf, puma, innocent hiker....

They may have to adopt a certain position, maybe like a cat does when a cat
sprays, but I'm sure it would release it's payload when confined if it felt
it had to.