nospambob

Default OT, Possum repellant?

Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.
Doug Kanter

"nospambob" wrote in message
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

Are the plants too large at this point to attach to a vertical support? That
achieves a number of goals, including keeping the fruit away from small
beasts.

Patch

"nospambob" wrote in message
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

I bought a device called "Critter Getter". You mount it on a stake facing
the garden & it detects infa-red from critters & sets off an audible alarm
with strobe lights. It will scare off the pests. Do a "Google" search for
it. I've had mine for 4 years & it's kept the deer & rabbits out of my
garden.

Duane Bozarth

MrC1 wrote:

12ga?

20 is all that's needed...

Doug Kanter

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
MrC1 wrote:

12ga?

20 is all that's needed...

Great, but in most 1/8 acre neighborhoods, the neighbors and cops get a
little twitchy when you fire a real gun. They're right, too. I'd love to,
but I hear jail cells really suck. And there's no beer there.

Luke

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:34:09 -0500, "Patch"
wrote:

[snip quote]
I bought a device called "Critter Getter". You mount it on a stake facing
the garden & it detects infa-red from critters & sets off an audible alarm
with strobe lights. It will scare off the pests. Do a "Google" search for
it. I've had mine for 4 years & it's kept the deer & rabbits out of my
garden.

Search is easier if it's spelled right: "Critter Gitter" :-).
^
Doesn't the noise and lights bother you or your neighbors, specially
at night?

--
Luke
"We have the media now."
-- Ann Coulter, on The Sean Hannity Show, July 26, 2005
Shaman683

I had invasion problems with Possoms AND Coons....Kept biting the heads
off my baby kittens, damn their nocturnal souls.

So after some Google research, I tried an experiment...

Deep at night, before bedtime, I would go to each of the four corners
of my property, and take a big healthy dump.

(Marking with my personal scent, a.k.a. "Critter Email") .

Now this is not a joke...I really did that, and it stopped the Possoms
and Coons coming, COLD.

If that don't work, it's time to buy a big 'ol hogleg .44!

G Henslee

MrC1 wrote:

12ga?

20 is all that's needed...

Great, but in most 1/8 acre neighborhoods, the neighbors and cops get a
little twitchy when you fire a real gun. They're right, too. I'd love to,
but I hear jail cells really suck. And there's no beer there.

Bubba's in jail Kanter. Just waiting to service you. Use a 45. It's
louder and will get the p.d. there quicker.

fetch boy.
Doug Kanter

MrC1 wrote:

12ga?

20 is all that's needed...

Great, but in most 1/8 acre neighborhoods, the neighbors and cops get a
little twitchy when you fire a real gun. They're right, too. I'd love to,
but I hear jail cells really suck. And there's no beer there.

Bubba's in jail Kanter. Just waiting to service you. Use a 45. It's
louder and will get the p.d. there quicker.

fetch boy.

Welcome, executive ******.

Dan C

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:02:59 -0700, Shaman683 wrote:

Deep at night, before bedtime, I would go to each of the four corners
of my property, and take a big healthy dump.

You can take a big healthy dump four times in that short of a time span?
What the **** are you eating?

Linux Registered User #327951

SteveB

Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

Fi-Shock. Google it.

They work beautifully for all sorts of varmints.

Steve

nospambob

Red pepper flakes in the Gazanias in the parking strip didn't have ANY
effect on roaming dogs.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:59:27 GMT, "John‰]*
************************************************** *************"
wrote:

In article , nospambob
wrote:

Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

http://www.critterridders.com/scarecrow.htm

http://havahart.com/nuisance/critter...s_opossums.asp

You could also buy some red pepper flakes and sprinkle them on the
perimeter of your garden plot. A snoot full of red pepper will chase
off almost any critter except birds.

John

C & M

I've gardening for 30 yrs and I've not seen the hot pepper trick fail. In
my experience you have to sprinkle in onto a wet surface for it to stick and
be present for the quadraped nocturnal snackers. You don't have to do all
of your tomatoes - you will lose a few more until they het the hot ones but
once they get a little flavor of 'ole Mexico you won't have any trouble
unless a new guy moves onto the block. There is also a pelletized repellant
that I have bought a the garden supply store - I'd check Wally World too -
it's pretty revolting to the point of making my stomach twitch. Now that I
live where everyone usese their firearms to protect the garden I only use
the pepper on occassion. Happy Seasonings!!
"nospambob" wrote in message
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

Luke

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:10:30 -0700, nospambob
wrote:

Search found it but it's discontinued. Will try red pepper flakes.
Vines are about 4' tall and are staked.

[snip bottom quote]

Critter Gitter seems to be available he
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/unique-9/crittergitter.html

My Google search turned up a couple other sources, too, some the same
price, some more expensive.

The plants are too big now for a tomato cage, I suppose, but I wonder
if staking around the plants and making a cage of chicken wire, or
finer like mechanics wire, would keep possums off. Sorry, but my only
experience with a possum was trying to get one out of the garage late
one night. Nasty thing.

--
Luke
"Of course, the people don't want war. But, after all, it is the

Doug Kanter

wrote:

Search found it but it's discontinued. Will try red pepper flakes.
Vines are about 4' tall and are staked.

[snip bottom quote]

Critter Gitter seems to be available he
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/unique-9/crittergitter.html

My Google search turned up a couple other sources, too, some the same
price, some more expensive.

The plants are too big now for a tomato cage, I suppose, but I wonder
if staking around the plants and making a cage of chicken wire, or
finer like mechanics wire, would keep possums off. Sorry, but my only
experience with a possum was trying to get one out of the garage late
one night. Nasty thing.

If the branches rest on fine wire, they may get sliced as they rub back &
forth. Not that it matters - most tomato plants are so robust by this time
of the season that they'd probably withstand a napalm attack. Losing a few
branches won't matter much.

Luke

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:59:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Luke" wrote in message
.. .

[snippage]
The plants are too big now for a tomato cage, I suppose, but I wonder
if staking around the plants and making a cage of chicken wire, or
finer like mechanics wire, would keep possums off. Sorry, but my only
experience with a possum was trying to get one out of the garage late
one night. Nasty thing.

If the branches rest on fine wire, they may get sliced as they rub back &
forth. Not that it matters - most tomato plants are so robust by this time
of the season that they'd probably withstand a napalm attack. Losing a few
branches won't matter much.

Yes, also don't put the "cage" too close, keep branches off the wire
by tying them up/back. Tomato plants can be tough, but they wouldn't
survive even a small napalm drop, with or without Agent Orange. Ask a
Vietnamese :-).

--
Luke
"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by
-- The Downing Street Memo, July 23, 2002
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com
Carolina Breeze HVAC

"nospambob" wrote in message
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood, So. Calif. Coast, and we've spotted piles of feces and
presumed possum. Repellants for ants are suggested so I thought this
might bring someting helpful.

17 cal works wonders...lol

Arthur Shapiro

In article , nospambob wrote:
Wife WAS excited about the first good sized tomato ripening then one
morning recently it was gone. Possums have been seen in the
neighborhood,

Not impossible, I suppose, but possums generally prefer partially decaying
fruit that has fallen off a plant. They are also extremely fond of snails.
Normally they're pretty good creatures to have around your garden.

Art