Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Caught another possum....

THO wrote in
:

In article t,
"Art" wrote:

They love slugs so they are nice wildlife to keep around the garden.

Skunks love slugs too. Unfortunately they made my lawn look like it
had been carpet bombed.

wrote in message
oups.com...
This one was more interesting with better looking features, either
it was older, the other gender or it was sporting a winter coat.
First off, it tried to "play possum" on me....Well, it worked so
well that I have my doubts as to whether this is a conscious act on
their part. Based on the amount of shouting, hand clapping, cage
shaking and the lack of response from the critter, I'm convinced
it's not conscious while playing possum even if it's a self induced
state.

It could also be an involuntary mechanism triggered by fear.
Whatever, the animal would have to undergo an extreme altered state
of consciousness if it was pretending IMO. Furthermore, people have
cited cases where they are run over by tractors and farm machinery
while playing possum so it seems that there isn't a conscious "one
eye left open" if this is some pretentious act of self
preservation. In other words, when a possum "plays possum" it lacks
the shrewdness of a great pretender.

This one had shorter jaws and fluffy fur and reminded me of a bear.
Looked like something one would want to keep as a pet if these
weren't wild animals. It trembled when we approached the cage
(except when it was playing possum). I was also able to get a good
look at its prehensile tail. Here are some pictures;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297010/large

(Warning: The one below is large and requires panning but gives
closeup equivalent)
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297010/original

(Closeup of tail only without the need to pan)
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297015/large

Slugs? Never heard that. But have heard and read that grubs are primo.

And if it is in fact grubs that they are after, they are doing you a
favor. The grubs will do far more damage than the skunk pot holes.

Remove the food source and skunks will stop digging. They dig because thy
smell the grugs below the soil.

And yes they do make good pets. Knew a woman who had two. Very people
oriented. Very mischievous and playful. Even use a litter box like cats
do.