Default toilet handle chain getting caught in flapper

Hi everyone,

I've been having the problem of having the chain from my toilet handle
getting caught underneath the flapper, thus preventing the flapper from
closing. A jiggle of the handle usually solves this, but I don't think
I should be having this problem.

When the flapper is closed, I have the chain adjusted so it is nearly
taut. When I press down the handle to flush and let go of the handle,
the handle immediately returns to its original position, therefore
creating a lot of slack in the chain which gets caught underneath the
open flapper. What's the solution to this chain problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I've been having the problem of having the chain from my toilet handle
getting caught underneath the flapper, thus preventing the flapper from
closing. A jiggle of the handle usually solves this, but I don't think
I should be having this problem.

When the flapper is closed, I have the chain adjusted so it is nearly
taut. When I press down the handle to flush and let go of the handle,
the handle immediately returns to its original position, therefore
creating a lot of slack in the chain which gets caught underneath the
open flapper. What's the solution to this chain problem?

Thanks,
Dave

You might try one of the flappers that uses the "rubber" chain. They tend
to float where the metal one sinks fast.

Colbyt

SJF

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I've been having the problem of having the chain from my toilet handle
getting caught underneath the flapper, thus preventing the flapper from
closing. A jiggle of the handle usually solves this, but I don't think
I should be having this problem.

When the flapper is closed, I have the chain adjusted so it is nearly
taut. When I press down the handle to flush and let go of the handle,
the handle immediately returns to its original position, therefore
creating a lot of slack in the chain which gets caught underneath the
open flapper. What's the solution to this chain problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Replace the lower half of the chain with a long link made from stout copper
wire.

SJF

Mike Fritz

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Make sure the lever doesn't land in the water when released. I had the
problem where the plastic chain would float above the lever and hang up
there. Installing a metal chain kind of solved the problem. Once in a
blue moon, the metal chain will catch where it's connected to the
flapper, holding it up.
--Mike

Stormin Mormon

I did something similar. it was many years ago, but I think I remember
taking a nylon tie strap, and weaving it through a couple of the links. Made
the chain more rigid.

or did I use copper wire? Can't remember. But it worked.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SJF" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

George E. Cawthon

Harry K wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been having the problem of having the chain from my toilet

handle

getting caught underneath the flapper, thus preventing the flapper

from

closing. A jiggle of the handle usually solves this, but I don't

think

I should be having this problem.

When the flapper is closed, I have the chain adjusted so it is

nearly

taut. When I press down the handle to flush and let go of the

handle,

the handle immediately returns to its original position, therefore
creating a lot of slack in the chain which gets caught underneath

the

open flapper. What's the solution to this chain problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Forget the chain, they are forever getting caught.
Replace it with a heavy piece of fishing line.
Leave about 1/2 - 1/4" slack and you will never
have a problem.

Now why didn't I think of that? My problem is the link to the flush
arm very occasionally flips over the top of the arm thus holding it
open. The fish line should solve that.

Harry K

I've done it to 3 toilets over the past 10-15
years and never had a flapper stick open. In
fact, the first thing I did with a replacement
toilet was to throw the chain away and replace it
with fish line. The last time I looked at toilets
I noted that some manufactures now use a flat
plastic strap to couple the arm and the flapper.
BobK207

I usually shorten the chain to fix the problem.

cheers
Bob

Harry K

BobK207 wrote:
I usually shorten the chain to fix the problem.

cheers
Bob

Except in my case, the chain is already as short as it can be. There
is slack in any chain after a flush until the flapper/ball drops.

Harry K

BobK207

Maybe the flush lever arm rotates down too far & allows the slack to
get under the flapper?