Jeff Novotny

Default have to hold down toilet handle

Hello,
When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl
is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush
completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff
TURTLE

"Jeff Novotny" wrote in message ...
Hello,
When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl
is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush
completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

This is Turtle.

If the towlet is less than 10 year or so. You got one of the Bill Clinton Water saver Towlets. It will only do what you want it to
if you hold her down long enough. I have two of them in my house and fixing to try the Tank assist tank to go in my towlet tank. It
will make the towlet flush completely and not have to hold it down. I think it is made by American Standard. Now they do have the
model already built into the new type towlet you can buy from them. i have has a plumber look at the two towlets of mine and there
is nothing you can do about it.

TURTLE

---

jim

Jeff Novotny wrote:

Hello,
When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl
is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush
completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

the flapper valve in the toilet is broken(its suppose to float until the
water leave the tank... and its falling down blocking off the hole in
the bottom of the tank and not letting the rest of the water flow down.)
you should take the tank top off and look at it when it flushes...if you
have a flapper valve with a float on it make sure it is staying up and
floating...if you have a chain attached to the flapper and it has a
small round float attached to the chain then move it lower on the
chain-closer to the flapper valve so it can hold the flapper up.......
thats why the water is not going into the bowl....
hope this helps.
Joseph Meehan

Jeff Novotny wrote:
Hello,
When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl
is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush
completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

As you may have guessed by now, we are not sure exactly what the problem
is from here.

I'll offer a few possible issues:

1. A bad flapper valve. Easy and cheap to replace.

2. clogged outlets under the rim. In time they can lime up and will no
longer allow the designed amount of water to flow and flush. They are
generally cleaned with a wire. Just scrap the scale blocking the flow.

3. Poor design. Some are just not made well and don't flush well
without help. The only fix for that is to replace it with a good one. Good
is not always the most expensive. Often the most expensive looks expensive,
but does not work as well as the mid price model. Look for a large (20 inch
is very good) and fully glazed trap.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

AlienZen

"Jeff Novotny" wrote in message
Hello,
When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl
is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush
completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

OR-
It could just be the chain on the lever is not lifting the flapper valve high
enough to prevent it from being sucked closed by the water. Try taking a link or
2 of slack out of the chain between the lever and the flapper.

Mike
--
"Light travels faster than sound;
This is why some people appear to be bright

Eric

TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Whats a towlet? Is that like a towelet that you get after dinner at Red
Lobster?

TURTLE

"Eric" wrote in message newsA6fc.140475$JO3.84648@attbi_s04...
TURTLE wrote:

[...]

Some times i spell like the locals pronounce the words in my area. Here they pronounce it Tow let and not Toilet. Now if you go up
north or to any big citys outside Louisiana. They Use the true spelling of Toilet.

Also here the Name He'bert is pronounced A'bear. I will spell it Abear.

TURTLE

---