tflfb

Default Toilet flapper leaking

Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

Joseph Meehan

tflfb wrote:
Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds,
any fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

Replace it. It is cheap and also there is no other fix than the ones
you have tried.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

George E. Cawthon

Why? A flapper costs 99cents for the cheap ones, maybe $4.99 for the
expensive ones and takes less than 10 minutes to change. Then it last
for 5-10 years as the rubber ages and deteriorates. There isn't
anything much cheaper and easier to do in home maintenance.

tflfb wrote:

Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

Dick Wells

You might be using the wrong flapper. Make sure it is the right one for your
unit or try a few different shaped ones. This stopped mine from leaking.
Blue

Don't overlook the seal between the seat and the tank.
That is the likely culprit if the flapper is leaking. Try tightening it
first but you may have to improvise a tool. The proper tool comes with a
new seat.
Blue

"tflfb" wrote in message
Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

HRL

Are you certain it is the flapper?

How about the overflow tube? Is it above the water line? If it is shoved
too far down into the overflow tube it will siphon.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...let_refill.htm

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ToiletFlush.htm

"tflfb" wrote in message
Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

indago

040731 1947 - tflfb posted:

Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

The best way to handle this is to watch it work. Take the cover off the
toilet tank and watch the flushing operation. When the flapper seats, put a
little pressure on it and see if you can make it seat better. Sometimes
these things just get old and out of alignment and don't position themselves
properly anymore, so a little tinkering with it may make all the difference.

tflfb wrote:

Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

get a new flapper.. they cost about $1.98 in most hardware stores.. then
you dont have to worry about cleaning it.. its the rubber thats coming
apart that lets it leak...
NoOne N Particular

My house has three bathrooms and of the three, there is one toilet that has
been a continual problem for the houses 18 year life. The other two are
just fine. For that one, it will "top off" about three or four times a day.
Not as bad as your problem, but still a PITA. I have put in several new
valves and floats of different types, several different types of flappers,
resurfaced the seat for the flapper with some 600 grit sandpaper and a
sanding block, checked to make sure everything is tight, took the thing
apart and put in all new sealants, and still it leaks. I was talking to a
neighbor not too long ago and he told me that he had the same problem with
one of his toilets (oddly enough, he had the same model house and it was the
toilet in the same location in his house). He replaced the toilet and no
more problem. I just might be in the market for a new toilet myself. That
might be a problem too because I think I might have to go out of state to
get a toilet that isn't a "water conserving" type.

Wayne

"tflfb" wrote in message
Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

HRL

I will ask you too if the outlet your overflow tube is above the water
level. Very common problem for your type of symptoms. Just a bit below the
water level and you siphon out a little bit of water.

.com...

"tflfb" wrote in message
Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any
fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

Joseph Meehan

NoOne N Particular wrote:
... I think I might have to
go out of state to get a toilet that isn't a "water conserving" type.

Wayne

Don't bother. The better water conserving types are great and they need
not be expensive. When they first came out and the contractor's specials
that are put in most homes are junk so many people think they all are junk.
It is just not so.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

clifto

NoOne N Particular wrote:
My house has three bathrooms and of the three, there is one toilet that has
been a continual problem for the houses 18 year life. The other two are
just fine. For that one, it will "top off" about three or four times a day.
Not as bad as your problem, but still a PITA. I have put in several new
valves and floats of different types, several different types of flappers,
resurfaced the seat for the flapper with some 600 grit sandpaper and a
sanding block, checked to make sure everything is tight, took the thing
apart and put in all new sealants, and still it leaks. I was talking to a
neighbor not too long ago and he told me that he had the same problem with
one of his toilets (oddly enough, he had the same model house and it was the
toilet in the same location in his house). He replaced the toilet and no
more problem.

I have a Briggs toilet whose flapper started leaking. The replacement
flappers available at the home stores all leaked, too. I looked closely
at the original and it was different in important ways; I had to trim
parts off the replacement flapper to make it actually fit properly.
Could NOT find a Briggs part; some of the home stores carried Briggs
toilets, but no parts for them.

--
To his numbed, buttock-shifting listeners, the great sonorous self-regarding
orotund bromidic banality of Senator Kerry and his multitude of nuances is proof
Joseph Meehan

clifto wrote:

I have a Briggs toilet whose flapper started leaking. The replacement
flappers available at the home stores all leaked, too. I looked
closely at the original and it was different in important ways; I had
to trim parts off the replacement flapper to make it actually fit
properly. Could NOT find a Briggs part; some of the home stores
carried Briggs toilets, but no parts for them.

Try:

http://www.plumbingproducts.com/briggs.html

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

NoOne N Particular

"clifto" wrote in message
NoOne N Particular wrote:
[...]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...04/08/01/do010
2.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/08/01/ixop.html

Interesting. My toilets are also Briggs, and so I'm sure that my neighbors
was too. I am still wondering why only one of them is causing problems,
though. There was a time early on about 15 years ago when I started having
problems with all three of them. I changed all of the fill valves and the
flappers in one day, and two of the three have been fine for many years now.
I know what you mean about having to trim the flapper. I saw that right
away and made sure that they fit well. But one of them STILL has a very
slow leak.

Wayne

Tom

Wayne wrote:But one of them STILL has a very
slow leak.

And it may not be the flapper. The tube to which the flapper mounts could be
cracked, making for a little gremlin. Tom
Work at your leisure!