Blondie

Default Toilet leaking water on bathroom floor

I have a toilet that is leaking water on the bathroom floor. The leak was
coming from the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor. My boyfriend
thought it was the wax gasket that needed to be replaced. When we removed
the toilet to replace the wax gasket we found that the flange that the
toilet attaches to is almost gone due to corrosion. Is there something like
a repair kit or some type of fitting that can be used to correct this
problem so we can bolt the toilet down to the floor tightly? Thanks for any
help with my problem.

Blondie

Speedy Jim

Blondie wrote:

I have a toilet that is leaking water on the bathroom floor. The leak was
coming from the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor. My boyfriend
thought it was the wax gasket that needed to be replaced. When we removed
the toilet to replace the wax gasket we found that the flange that the
toilet attaches to is almost gone due to corrosion. Is there something like
a repair kit or some type of fitting that can be used to correct this
problem so we can bolt the toilet down to the floor tightly? Thanks for any
help with my problem.

Blondie

You will need to find out more about the construction.
Is it all cast iron?
Is it a lead bend with a brass flange soldered on?

Oatey makes a plastic flange with an expanding lower section
which can be slipped inside a 4" pipe and then expanded to seal.

If it's a deteriorated lead bend, you'll have to tread carefully
as it may not be possible to make a good seal.

Is there access below (basement) where the connection into the
stack could be replaced if it came to that?

Jim
Blondie

Jim, thanks for your reply.
Yes, it is cast iron and yes we have a crawl space under the house to gain
access to the sewer pipes.

Blondie

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Blondie wrote:

[...]

mwlogs

If it is simply the flange that the toilet bolts to that is badly rusted,
and the pipe itself is on good shape, then you should be able to find a
replacement flange that will screw to the floor and allow you to bolt the
toilet in place. You then use a wax seal with a plastic neck to seal
between the existing cast iron pipe and the toilet. The flange doesn't play
a part in the actual seal, it only holds the pot on the pipe so to speak!
The seal is formed between the pipe and the pot.