NoOne N Particular

Default Toilet flapper leaking

"clifto" wrote in message
NoOne N Particular wrote:
My house has three bathrooms and of the three, there is one toilet that

has
been a continual problem for the houses 18 year life. The other two are
just fine. For that one, it will "top off" about three or four times a

day.
Not as bad as your problem, but still a PITA. I have put in several new
valves and floats of different types, several different types of

flappers,
resurfaced the seat for the flapper with some 600 grit sandpaper and a
sanding block, checked to make sure everything is tight, took the thing
apart and put in all new sealants, and still it leaks. I was talking to

neighbor not too long ago and he told me that he had the same problem

with
one of his toilets (oddly enough, he had the same model house and it was

the
toilet in the same location in his house). He replaced the toilet and

no
more problem.

I have a Briggs toilet whose flapper started leaking. The replacement
flappers available at the home stores all leaked, too. I looked closely
at the original and it was different in important ways; I had to trim
parts off the replacement flapper to make it actually fit properly.
Could NOT find a Briggs part; some of the home stores carried Briggs
toilets, but no parts for them.

--
To his numbed, buttock-shifting listeners, the great sonorous

self-regarding
orotund bromidic banality of Senator Kerry and his multitude of nuances is

proof
of how much more serious he - and therefore they - are.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...04/08/01/do010
2.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2004/08/01/ixop.html

Interesting. My toilets are also Briggs, and so I'm sure that my neighbors
was too. I am still wondering why only one of them is causing problems,
though. There was a time early on about 15 years ago when I started having
problems with all three of them. I changed all of the fill valves and the
flappers in one day, and two of the three have been fine for many years now.
I know what you mean about having to trim the flapper. I saw that right
away and made sure that they fit well. But one of them STILL has a very
slow leak.

Wayne