Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Installing vinyl gutter guards - how to get them to snap on?

I bought the vinyl gutter guards and started installing them. I cannot
get them to "snap on" to the edge of my gutter. I wonder if there are
other kinds of guards and I purchased the wrong one. I've included
pictures of my gutters and how the guards lay on them. I'm a little
worried that a brisk wind will blow them off because the only thing
that is holding them to my roof are the shingles. Are there special
clamps i can buy to secure them better? the bottom of my gutter is
rounded so it will be a challenge to get a standard clamp to attach to
it.

Also parts on parts of my roof the shingle are very hard to pry up and
I cannot get the guard far enough under because there is a nail or
something blocking it - what do you suggest in that situation - cutting
the guard so it's more narrow?

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6464/dscf0582uz5.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4590/dscf0583fa1.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5092/dscf0584xm8.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8134/dscf0585cb6.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Purchased at local Box Store about 3 years ago and still available are
an expanded perforated aluminum gutter guard in 3 foot lengths about 6
inches wide and curved, cost about a buck ($1) on sale. They have two
clips (hinges) that snap on outer edge of gutter and the guards just
lay on the roof, not under the shingles. Weight holds them down and if
necessary they can be opened. Simple to install and work great for me,
YMMV. I have aluminum gutters and the outer lip was too big for the
hinge. Using a pair of pliers I just flattened gutter about an inch at
each clip to fit. Might be a problem with plastic gutter?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DT" wrote in message
news:kbydnRQjtrfMxt_YnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
In article .com,
says...

I bought the vinyl gutter guards and started installing them. I cannot
get them to "snap on" to the edge of my gutter. I wonder if there are
other kinds of guards and I purchased the wrong one. I've included
pictures of my gutters and how the guards lay on them. I'm a little
worried that a brisk wind will blow them off because the only thing
that is holding them to my roof are the shingles. Are there special
clamps i can buy to secure them better? the bottom of my gutter is
rounded so it will be a challenge to get a standard clamp to attach to
it.

Are these the Amerimax ones from Home Depot? I have installed the solid
versions on my roof. The brief instructions on the label should tell how
bend them.

At least for the solid covers: You need to bend them up just back from
the
outer edge, then bend them back down as they near the shingles. This
adjusts
them for the roof pitch and allows the outer edge to be horizontal so it
will
snap into place. There are pre-scored bending lines but they are still
fairly
stiff, fortunately I have a bender long enough to put them in and tweak
them.

--
Dennis

These look like the amerimax ones. If they are the ones that have the screen
over them the screen part goes UP. It looks to me like you are installing
them upside down. Sometimes you will have to cut a slip to make it around a
nail in the shingle or you will have to cut a little piece out of the bottom
where it snaps into the gutter around the gutter spike. Good luck. I also
had to drill small 1/8" holes in them right before the little flat piece
that sticks up. This was because in heavy rain, the water would just cascade
right over them. If you want pictures of my modification, let me know.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:32:08 GMT, "Old_Boat"
wrote:

These look like the amerimax ones. If they are the ones that have the screen
over them the screen part goes UP. It looks to me like you are installing
them upside down. Sometimes you will have to cut a slip to make it around a
nail in the shingle or you will have to cut a little piece out of the bottom
where it snaps into the gutter around the gutter spike. Good luck. I also
had to drill small 1/8" holes in them right before the little flat piece
that sticks up. This was because in heavy rain, the water would just cascade
right over them. If you want pictures of my modification, let me know.

Larry

I just put these on my gutters. Larry is right, you are installing
them upside down. I agree with Larry that the problem may be that you
don't have enough space between the gutter spike and the bottom of the
folded over top of the gutter for the guard to slide in. You can
either slide a screwdriver gently in that area to make a bigger gap,
or trim away a small part of the bottom lip of the guard where the
spikes are.

If they hit a nail when you slide them under the shingles, just trim
them around it.

Once you get one corner started, a big pair of pliers or
channel-locks, held vertically, can be used to convince the guard to
slide onto the gutter.

Once installed, I've found them to work quite well.

Also, if it's cold now in your area, you may find heating the stubbon
shingles with a heat gun will make them more flexible. you don't want
to break them trying to bend them up.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Whynot wrote:
Purchased at local Box Store about 3 years ago and still available are
an expanded perforated aluminum gutter guard in 3 foot lengths about 6
inches wide and curved, cost about a buck ($1) on sale. They have two
clips (hinges) that snap on outer edge of gutter and the guards just
lay on the roof, not under the shingles. Weight holds them down and if
necessary they can be opened. Simple to install and work great for me,
YMMV. I have aluminum gutters and the outer lip was too big for the
hinge. Using a pair of pliers I just flattened gutter about an inch at
each clip to fit. Might be a problem with plastic gutter?

I have some of those kind and they don't lay on the
roof very well. They keep flipping over. I don't
think they are supposed to clip on the gutter, I
think they are supposed to clip on the edge of the
shingles. Any way after my experience that is about
the only way to make them work. Actually I have
bricks laying on the top side to hold them down.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
news
Don Whynot wrote:
[...]

Strange as that's not my experience. I don't have any labels so I can
not say what they were called or the part number. I attached them to
the "gutter" as described in the instructions, not a problem after 3
years. My residence is near the Chicago area and we do get some wind
here, recently had gusts around 50 MPH, never had one move and they
are free to open on the hinge. Once had a squirrel enter through the
open end and I chased it back-and-forth until he finally lifted up one
length and took off. I tried the flat plastic type that suppose to
slide under the shingles but found shingles stuck to roof that's why I
installed these and have not been sorry.
Don Whynot

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Paul Franklin, Bert wrote:
pffranklin.nospam wrote:

[...]

I hope we're talking about the solid plastic vinyl covers that are a 4
foot job.
I have over 200 feet hip roof and the 2 problems I see are getting them up
under the
shingles and then sliding the clip edge over the gutter lip. The simple
problem of
slipping the flat edge up under the shingles and hitting a nail that
should not be there
means that you have to cut out a "V" section due to the few orphan nail
obstructions.
If you have more than just a few then your in trouble and should consider
some other
cover. The bigger problem seems to be the narrow clip edge 1/8 inch wide
and 4 foot
long that has to be forced over the gutter edge that is about 1/2 inch
wide. Many
frustrations arise here but the trick here is to open up the narrow edge.
For me that was over
200 feet long. Try this. Get an old caster wheel about 3 to 4 inches in
diameter and about
1/2 inch wide and put an old screwdriver handle on the stem, now you have
something like a
pizza cutter. Hopefully you have a nice hot sunny day and a outside
workbench. Put the
curved edge on the bench edge and roll the wheel inside the narrow opening
thus making it
wider etc. Good luck.
Bert

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...on-160210-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/installing-vinyl-gutter-guar...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

if you have lots of trees gutter guards are largely a waste of time..

the debris hit the roof and turn into dust crud that fills the gutters
its so small it goes right thru the gutter guard openings The amount
of crud from spring blossoms is unreal

when it comes time to clean the gutters you must first remove the
guards that didnt work

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Gutter guards: worth installing? [email protected] UK diy 2 July 20th 05 02:41 PM
Installing AC in vinyl replacement windows chemqueries Home Repair 3 June 27th 05 02:48 PM
gutter repair--what a headache peter p. Home Repair 13 April 19th 05 02:18 PM