Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Bert is offline

Default Installing vinyl gutter guards - how to get them to snap on?

replying to Paul Franklin, Bert wrote:
pffranklin.nospam wrote:

I just put these on my gutters. Larry is right, you are installing
them upside down. I agree with Larry that the problem may be that you
don't have enough space between the gutter spike and the bottom of the
folded over top of the gutter for the guard to slide in. You can
either slide a screwdriver gently in that area to make a bigger gap,
or trim away a small part of the bottom lip of the guard where the
spikes are.
If they hit a nail when you slide them under the shingles, just trim
them around it.
Once you get one corner started, a big pair of pliers or
channel-locks, held vertically, can be used to convince the guard to
slide onto the gutter.
Once installed, I've found them to work quite well.
Also, if it's cold now in your area, you may find heating the stubbon
shingles with a heat gun will make them more flexible. you don't want
to break them trying to bend them up.
HTH,
Paul

I hope we're talking about the solid plastic vinyl covers that are a 4
foot job.
I have over 200 feet hip roof and the 2 problems I see are getting them up
under the
shingles and then sliding the clip edge over the gutter lip. The simple
problem of
slipping the flat edge up under the shingles and hitting a nail that
should not be there
means that you have to cut out a "V" section due to the few orphan nail
obstructions.
If you have more than just a few then your in trouble and should consider
some other
cover. The bigger problem seems to be the narrow clip edge 1/8 inch wide
and 4 foot
long that has to be forced over the gutter edge that is about 1/2 inch
wide. Many
frustrations arise here but the trick here is to open up the narrow edge.
For me that was over
200 feet long. Try this. Get an old caster wheel about 3 to 4 inches in
diameter and about
1/2 inch wide and put an old screwdriver handle on the stem, now you have
something like a
pizza cutter. Hopefully you have a nice hot sunny day and a outside
workbench. Put the
curved edge on the bench edge and roll the wheel inside the narrow opening
thus making it
wider etc. Good luck.
Bert

--