Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Whynot Don Whynot is offline

Default Installing vinyl gutter guards - how to get them to snap on?

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
news
Don Whynot wrote:
Purchased at local Box Store about 3 years ago and still available

are
an expanded perforated aluminum gutter guard in 3 foot lengths

about 6
inches wide and curved, cost about a buck ($1) on sale. They have

two
clips (hinges) that snap on outer edge of gutter and the guards

just
lay on the roof, not under the shingles. Weight holds them down

and if
necessary they can be opened. Simple to install and work great for

me,
YMMV. I have aluminum gutters and the outer lip was too big for

the
hinge. Using a pair of pliers I just flattened gutter about an

inch at
each clip to fit. Might be a problem with plastic gutter?

I have some of those kind and they don't lay on the
roof very well. They keep flipping over. I don't
think they are supposed to clip on the gutter, I
think they are supposed to clip on the edge of the
shingles. Any way after my experience that is about
the only way to make them work. Actually I have
bricks laying on the top side to hold them down.

Bill Gill

Strange as that's not my experience. I don't have any labels so I can
not say what they were called or the part number. I attached them to
the "gutter" as described in the instructions, not a problem after 3
years. My residence is near the Chicago area and we do get some wind
here, recently had gusts around 50 MPH, never had one move and they
are free to open on the hinge. Once had a squirrel enter through the
open end and I chased it back-and-forth until he finally lifted up one
length and took off. I tried the flat plastic type that suppose to
slide under the shingles but found shingles stuck to roof that's why I
installed these and have not been sorry.
Don Whynot