Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking steel pipe - how to fix

I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my
house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away
and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

Plumber is right, but the price is outrageous. Getting a welder out to the
house is a couple of hundred bucks though. I'd replace the entire pipe.
If one small section is leaking, the rest of the ipe is probably in bad
shape also. Find a better plumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

My Dad told me to always get three quotes on major items. That's
enough to see the spread and few enough to avoid wasting time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymour Bigby-Heinz -stuff wrote:

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:04:40 +0300, Dave wrote:

I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

Call another plumber. See if the new guy's estimate agrees with the
first guy's estimate. If it does, ask why it is so expensive. They may
have a reason for asking for so much.

Mike

I called another plumber which has worked for couple of my neighbors. After
seeing the leak he quoted $350 which I promptly accepted!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:23:15 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

Dave wrote:
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

My Dad told me to always get three quotes on major items. That's
enough to see the spread and few enough to avoid wasting time.

The three estimate thing isalways the best way to go..though some of
us (including me) get lazy about it sometimes. It's also a good thing
to let each of them know that you are pricing out the job...it often
gets them to actually give you their best price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steel clamps with rubber work fine to stop leaks on high pressure
60-100+ lb water, your boiler is 10-30lb max. Years ago before good
rubber leather was used

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

Are you talking about regular iron pipe, with threaded ends and
fittings? and 2 inches "thick" do you mean diameter? Pipe is measured
by ID, so "about 2 inches thick" would likel be 1 1/2" pipe. That size
implies steam to me rather than hot water, but it could be either.

Could you describe the leak? Is it s crack, leaking at a fitting,
damaged, corroded or ??? It would make a difference as to best method
of repair.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote in
:

[...]

Once the job is done for $350 and you are convinced it's repaired, call
the BBB and turn the thief in. If someone else had done this in the past
he might not have tried to pull this on you. He's put the screws to
others in the past and got away with it. If unchecked, his practice will
continue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it were a no pressure system like a sewer, I'd suggest take the bad
section out and use Fernco couplers.
http://www.hy-techroofdrains.com/images/drn-fer1000.jpg

I don't know if one of these would take the pressure and temperature
of a heat system. 15 PSI and 190F is a bit much for a rubber coupler.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in
my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part
away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut
the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

Related I suppose ... I had a leak in the 1/2 copper water pipe. A
temporary fix was to put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the
leak, and then apply a hose clamp ... the kind that tightens using a
screw. And about that temporary ... I put it on about a year ago, it's
still there. When I get around to redoing the bathroom (which may be
this winter, maybe next), I'll do the permanent fix.