Posted to alt.home.repair
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

Default Leaking steel pipe - how to fix

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:23:15 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

Dave wrote:
I have a leaking steel pipe that supplies warm water to radiators in my house.

A plumber dropped by and said it would be easiest to cut the bad part away and
weld a replacement. The pipe is about 2 inches thick.

The replacement is about two feet.

The plumber gave me a quote of about $2000 which I promptly refused.

What about using a fiberglass or something else? I'd rather just cut the cracked
steelpipe part away and weld a copper replacement part. Any ideas?

My Dad told me to always get three quotes on major items. That's
enough to see the spread and few enough to avoid wasting time.

The three estimate thing isalways the best way to go..though some of
us (including me) get lazy about it sometimes. It's also a good thing
to let each of them know that you are pricing out the job...it often
gets them to actually give you their best price.