Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PCV vs. metal traps

Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a
non-corrodable metal P-trap: (No such animal.)

or a PVC P-trap?: (Your best bet )

I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging. (Not true)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 10:31 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Clogging is more a function of what's put down the drain than what
material the drain is made from. If the trap will be seen, I use
metal. If not, well, it's 50-50 in my mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

There is no reason that PVC would be prone to
clogging, in fact, the smoother surface makes it
less likely to clog. PVC doesn't corrode, is
cheap, and easy to install. They only minus is
that the nuts sometimes split, but replacement is
generally simple and quick. Does metal have any
benefit over PVC? Maybe appearance when exposed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

depends on what your health department wants as it applies to your type
of building and its use. our county wants pvc, less unnoticed rust-thru
for contamination of home.
of course, our city, buffalo ny, wants metal.

Eigenvector wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:31 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Clogging is more a function of what's put down the drain than what
material the drain is made from. If the trap will be seen, I use
metal. If not, well, it's 50-50 in my mind.

Clogging is only one mode of failure. The other is the trap corroding
away, which is very common. PVC eliminates that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PVC far better, smoother inside for less clogging, non reactive to
drain cleaners like drainno, never rusts out and easier to disassemble
if needed.

Recently I fpund some PVC traps with threaded bottoms for clog
clearance, just untread cap with pan underneath.

i think thats a excellent idea

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does metal have any
benefit over PVC? Maybe appearance when exposed.

You not likely to strip the metal threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ALWAYS put silicone bathtub caulk on all fittings of PVC, they are
low cost and low quality if you ask me.

silicone costs little and seals all those small leaks.....

best idea I ever stole from a plumber

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 7:04 am, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:31 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Clogging is more a function of what's put down the drain than what
material the drain is made from. If the trap will be seen, I use
metal. If not, well, it's 50-50 in my mind.

RClogging is only one mode of failure. The other is the trap corroding

away, which is very common. PVC eliminates that.

A brass trap will last a long time. The odds of a bathroom or kitchen
being remodeled before the original trap shows any sign of corrosion is
high. If people let the sink get clogged and use harsh chemicals,
well, those people should use PVC. It's much closer to idiot-proof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a
non-corrodable metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone
mention how PVC was prone to clogging.

There is no reason that PVC would be prone to clogging, in fact, the
smoother surface makes it less likely to clog. PVC doesn't corrode, is
cheap, and easy to install. They only minus is that the nuts sometimes
split, but replacement is generally simple and quick. Does metal have any
benefit over PVC? Maybe appearance when exposed.

Wow, strong reaction from all, thanks for the input. Guess that shuts down
a bit of false information that was passed on to me.

I don't have anything against PVC, outside of its (sometimes) cheap
construction and brittleness, but for a drain pipe that's not a big problem.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM