Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default PCV vs. metal traps

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a
non-corrodable metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone
mention how PVC was prone to clogging.

There is no reason that PVC would be prone to clogging, in fact, the
smoother surface makes it less likely to clog. PVC doesn't corrode, is
cheap, and easy to install. They only minus is that the nuts sometimes
split, but replacement is generally simple and quick. Does metal have any
benefit over PVC? Maybe appearance when exposed.

Wow, strong reaction from all, thanks for the input. Guess that shuts down
a bit of false information that was passed on to me.

I don't have anything against PVC, outside of its (sometimes) cheap
construction and brittleness, but for a drain pipe that's not a big problem.