Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default PCV vs. metal traps

On Oct 12, 7:04 am, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:31 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Generally speaking, which is a better long term investment, a non-corrodable
metal P-trap or a PVC P-trap? I thought I heard someone mention how PVC was
prone to clogging.

Clogging is more a function of what's put down the drain than what
material the drain is made from. If the trap will be seen, I use
metal. If not, well, it's 50-50 in my mind.

RClogging is only one mode of failure. The other is the trap corroding

away, which is very common. PVC eliminates that.

A brass trap will last a long time. The odds of a bathroom or kitchen
being remodeled before the original trap shows any sign of corrosion is
high. If people let the sink get clogged and use harsh chemicals,
well, those people should use PVC. It's much closer to idiot-proof.