Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Riyobi weed whacker

Any time I want to use this 2 cycle engine I have to take off the cover and
adjust the needle valves, clean the spark plug, change the choke and other
settings and pull like crazy till it starts. Then it will run for a while
and just quit, dropping down from top speed to a stall. Sometimes it will
start again but this machine has me totally frustrated. My ten year old
Murray lawn mower starts every time and needs little attention. What is the
trick to keeping the weed wacker running? Thanks, if you can give me some
advice.
Derek , Pompano Beach, Fl

Posted to alt.home.repair

Derek Lawler, 10/3/2006, 10:45:01 AM,
wrote:

Any time I want to use this 2 cycle engine I have to take off the
cover and adjust the needle valves, clean the spark plug, change the
choke and other settings and pull like crazy till it starts. Then it
will run for a while and just quit, dropping down from top speed to a
stall. Sometimes it will start again but this machine has me totally
frustrated. My ten year old Murray lawn mower starts every time and
needs little attention. What is the trick to keeping the weed wacker
running? Thanks, if you can give me some advice.
Derek , Pompano Beach, Fl

I have no problem with mine other than trying to install string. Do
you use the choke system? This is what I do:
1. Prime engine by pushing bulb 3-4 times
2. Close choke and pull starter until you feel it trying to start.
3. Put choke in half open position and start.
4. Open choke completely after ~1 minute of operation.

So far this trimmer has been reliable for me after 8 years of use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Derek Lawler wrote:
Any time I want to use this 2 cycle engine I have to take off the cover and
adjust the needle valves, clean the spark plug, change the choke and other
settings and pull like crazy till it starts. Then it will run for a while
and just quit, dropping down from top speed to a stall. Sometimes it will
start again but this machine has me totally frustrated. My ten year old
Murray lawn mower starts every time and needs little attention. What is the
trick to keeping the weed wacker running? Thanks, if you can give me some
advice.
Derek , Pompano Beach, Fl

I had similar problems,
I replaced all the fuel lines and the primer bulb on mine and it runs
much better now.
Next time I need a new one though I'll spend the extra money and get a
commercial grade echo or stihl.