Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Default Weed Whacker dies after warm-up

Hi,

I've had this Homelite Bandit sx-135 for years. Generally a good
little machine ...

Fired it up today, started normally. Ran OK for maybe 2 minutes,
then wouldn't take gas, finally died. Added lots of gas. Same result.

Gas and oil properly mixed, exhaust shows proper smoke. I checked
the manual and blew out the fuel line. Same result on retest.

Anybody got a handle on such a problem?

TIA,
Puddin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I've had this Homelite Bandit sx-135 for years. Generally a good
little machine ...

Fired it up today, started normally. Ran OK for maybe 2 minutes,
then wouldn't take gas, finally died. Added lots of gas. Same result.

Gas and oil properly mixed, exhaust shows proper smoke. I checked
the manual and blew out the fuel line. Same result on retest.

Anybody got a handle on such a problem?

TIA,
Puddin'

Had a carbon copy on a Husky, it was a fuel line clog, but you said you
checked that....how about the fuel tank CAP, is the breather hole OK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Carpenter

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I've had this Homelite Bandit sx-135 for years. Generally a good
little machine ...

Fired it up today, started normally. Ran OK for maybe 2 minutes,
then wouldn't take gas, finally died. Added lots of gas. Same result.

Gas and oil properly mixed, exhaust shows proper smoke. I checked
the manual and blew out the fuel line. Same result on retest.

Anybody got a handle on such a problem?

TIA,
Puddin'

I would check/clean spark plug and carburettor. Either one or both
could be gummed up with fuel gunk. Also the gaskets could be
cracked... Some carb cleaner and a new spark plug is where I would
start from...

Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1

Puddin' Man wrote:

Hi,

I've had this Homelite Bandit sx-135 for years. Generally a good
little machine ...

Fired it up today, started normally. Ran OK for maybe 2 minutes,
then wouldn't take gas, finally died. Added lots of gas. Same result.

Gas and oil properly mixed, exhaust shows proper smoke. I checked
the manual and blew out the fuel line. Same result on retest.

Anybody got a handle on such a problem?

TIA,
Puddin'

YES.

Stuck piston ring(s) - and/or scored cylinder & scuffed piston. Carbon
builds up in ring grooves and prevents rings from floating freely on
piston, compression falls off when operating temp is reached.

Try it again from cold - it'll do the same thing again.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Had a carbon copy on a Husky, it was a fuel line clog, but you said you
checked that....how about the fuel tank CAP, is the breather hole OK

Checked this morn: looks clean. Tested whilst cap was loosened
to be sure. Same result.

I would check/clean spark plug and carburettor. Either one or both
could be gummed up with fuel gunk. Also the gaskets could be
cracked... Some carb cleaner and a new spark plug is where I would
start from...

Unit has not fouled a plug in about 8 years. I pulled the plug
and checked anyway: electrodes are nice, medium-lite brown.
As clean as I've ever seen onna 2-stroke.

Stuck piston ring(s) - and/or scored cylinder & scuffed piston. Carbon
builds up in ring grooves and prevents rings from floating freely on
piston, compression falls off when operating temp is reached.

This unit has never been mis-used (ie. run with insufficient
oil in gas). It's clean as a whistle. I get a measure of
compression every time I start it. Compression feels
sufficient when cold as well as when it poops out (mostly
warm).

I blew out the fuel line again with a can of air. Fiddled
the carb "adjustments". Tried semi-choke after warm, etc.
Air filter was mostly clean: now it's plenty clean.
Re-primed the carb to see if that would bring it back
to life. Nothing seems to help.

I noticed it wouldn't take full throttle early this
season. Problem might have been slowly developing
over the last year or so.

Doesn't sound electrical to po' me. Suspect fuel/air
mixture, but don't see any evidence of a problem.

Y'all got any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Peetie

Puddin' Man wrote:

Hi,

I've had this Homelite Bandit sx-135 for years. Generally a good
little machine ...

Fired it up today, started normally. Ran OK for maybe 2 minutes,
then wouldn't take gas, finally died. Added lots of gas. Same result.

Gas and oil properly mixed, exhaust shows proper smoke. I checked
the manual and blew out the fuel line. Same result on retest.

Anybody got a handle on such a problem?

TIA,
Puddin'

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

See if you get spark after it dies, it could be a bad coil or ignition
module, pull the wire and hold near the block. Is your gas regular,
high test can vapor lock, are all screws, bolts tight, maybe something
seperates when heated and allows in air.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

Spark plugs can and do break down under compression. You can't tell by
looking if the plug is breaking down or fouled inside the electrode cover.
Ya got another plug to try?