Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rope knot making a loop.

When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes. This
loop would be a handle. The diameter of the loop would typically be 6 or 8
inches. He would "weave" the cut end of the rope back into itself at the
beginning of the loop. When he was done, other than the thickness of the
rope being larger, you couldn't tell where the cut ends had been woven in.
I've tried googling for an answer, but I get so many hits, I can't wade
through them all. Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?
Thanks.
Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Templeton wrote:
When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes.
He would "weave" the cut end of the rope back into itself at the
beginning of the loop.

A search for "eye splice" should get you lots of relevant methods, many
with animations to make the method clearer. Takes a little practice to
get it to look good, but you can usually end up with something
servicable
after the first one or two tries...

Hope that helps,
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Templeton" wrote in news:4m%Sg.42480
:

Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?

You need to search for and "eye splice". The instructions vary, depending
on the type of rope and the type of eye you want. For something simpler,
you should use a bowline knot.

--
Murray Peterson
Email:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gotta tell you, I did a double take...my dad's name was Murray...when I
first looked and saw replies, and then saw the name, I thought fer sure he
had answered me himself (and then I saw the last name)
Thanks for the clue as to what to call it.
Perry
"Murray Peterson" wrote in message
"Perry Templeton" wrote in news:4m%Sg.42480
:

Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?

You need to search for and "eye splice". The instructions vary, depending
on the type of rope and the type of eye you want. For something simpler,
you should use a bowline knot.

--
Murray Peterson
Email:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:17:55 -0500, "Perry Templeton"
wrote:

When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes. This
loop would be a handle. The diameter of the loop would typically be 6 or 8
inches. He would "weave" the cut end of the rope back into itself at the
beginning of the loop. When he was done, other than the thickness of the
rope being larger, you couldn't tell where the cut ends had been woven in.
I've tried googling for an answer, but I get so many hits, I can't wade
through them all. Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?
Thanks.
Perry

Get your hands on a 1950's thru 60's Buy Scout manual. Knots
galore....
Maybe the new BSA manuals have it too, but doubtfully. These days they
are probably all computer logic and such. Kids these days dont learn
anything useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you are describing is called an "eye splice". It isn't a knot.
There are also long splices and short splices used to join two ropes.
A long splice will pass over a sheave (pulley) as smoothly as uncut
rope. A short splice that does not have to fit a pulley will work as
well and does not use up as much rope. A back splice is used to
terminate the cut end of a rope to prevent unravelling.
These methods work for wire rope as well as hemp rope woven from 3
strands of material. Splices are much stronger than knots since they
do not create stress points where one rope binds against the other
within the knot.
There are several web sites that provide an animated picture showing
the weaving which produces an eye splice. I recommend that you start
with a short piece of used, larger rope to practice since new rope
will be still very tightly woven and more difficult to open the
strands to weave in the ends. A small smooth spike such as a plastic
writing pen may be used to open the standing part of the rope as well.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Templeton wrote:
When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes.
This loop would be a handle. The diameter of the loop would
typically be 6 or 8 inches. He would "weave" the cut end of the rope
back into itself at the beginning of the loop. When he was done,
other than the thickness of the rope being larger, you couldn't tell
where the cut ends had been woven in. I've tried googling for an
answer, but I get so many hits, I can't wade through them all. Any
one understand what I'm describing and do you have a name for it, and
maybe an explanation on how to do it? Thanks.
Perry

I dunk the rope ends in a can of paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perry Templeton wrote:
When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes. This
loop would be a handle. The diameter of the loop would typically be 6 or 8
inches. He would "weave" the cut end of the rope back into itself at the
beginning of the loop. When he was done, other than the thickness of the
rope being larger, you couldn't tell where the cut ends had been woven in.
I've tried googling for an answer, but I get so many hits, I can't wade
through them all. Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?
Thanks.
Perry

Keep in mind that many types of rope today simply aren't splicable.
Unless you have an overriding reason to splice, it's much faster and
easier to use a good knot.

For examples: http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/knotindex.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I was a kid, my dad would make a "loop" in the end of our ropes. This
loop would be a handle. The diameter of the loop would typically be 6 or 8
inches. He would "weave" the cut end of the rope back into itself at the
beginning of the loop. When he was done, other than the thickness of the
rope being larger, you couldn't tell where the cut ends had been woven in.
I've tried googling for an answer, but I get so many hits, I can't wade
through them all. Any one understand what I'm describing and do you have a
name for it, and maybe an explanation on how to do it?
Thanks.
Perry

Around boats and in marine use, this would be called an "eye splice"
Try a book on seamanship.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006/9/29 1:22 AM, " wrote:

Get your hands on a 1950's thru 60's Buy Scout manual. Knots
galore....
Maybe the new BSA manuals have it too, but doubtfully. These days they
are probably all computer logic and such. Kids these days dont learn
anything useful.

You won't find splices in the BSA Handbook but there a fair number of basic
knots. Much of the campcraft has been moved into the Fieldbook and some of
the merit badge booklets. But that doesn't mean that scouts don't learn the
fundamentals. Our troop does a fair amount of backpacking and hiking and
usually have a least one campout per year devoted to Pioneering where they
learn/practice lashings, splicing and more advanced knots.

There are lots of different approaches to running a scout troop. Your
comments may apply to some, but not all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Haar wrote:

On 2006/9/29 1:22 AM, " wrote:

Get your hands on a 1950's thru 60's Buy Scout manual. Knots
galore....
Maybe the new BSA manuals have it too, but doubtfully. These days they
are probably all computer logic and such. Kids these days dont learn
anything useful.

You won't find splices in the BSA Handbook but there a fair number of basic
knots. Much of the campcraft has been moved into the Fieldbook and some of
the merit badge booklets. But that doesn't mean that scouts don't learn the
fundamentals. Our troop does a fair amount of backpacking and hiking and
usually have a least one campout per year devoted to Pioneering where they
learn/practice lashings, splicing and more advanced knots.

There are lots of different approaches to running a scout troop. Your
comments may apply to some, but not all.

Check these... be sure to look through the links included at the end of
each article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_splicing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot

Erik

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM