Posted to alt.home.repair

Default re-painting tile question

Our bathroom tile, around the shower/tub, had previously been painted.
We didn't even realize it, as it looked very good. But started peeling
recently, so we decided to try to re-paint it. We sanded the peeling
parts off, which was mainly off the edge of some of the tiles. I
tested one of the tiles with primer and paint, one coat each. It
covers fine in terms of the color, but you can tell where the ridge is
between where the old paint was peeled/sanded off, and where it
remained. I asked at HD, and the guy suggested using lightweight
spackle to raise the lower part and then sand it. I tried that, but
the spackle doesn't stick to the tile very well (if at all; it's
drying now), and it mainly crumbled away. I've always used regular
joint compound for drywall stuff, so this is probably the nature of
lightweight spackle.

Anyway, any suggestions on my situation? I'll try a second coat of
primer and paint and see if that helps, but not optimistic about that.
Should I try getting ALL the old paint off? If so, should I use some
solvent as opposed to sanding, as the sanding of the peeling part
didn't seem to touch the stuff still adhered. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

Anyway, any suggestions on my situation? I'll try a second coat of
primer and paint and see if that helps, but not optimistic about that.
Should I try getting ALL the old paint off? If so, should I use some
solvent as opposed to sanding, as the sanding of the peeling part
didn't seem to touch the stuff still adhered. Thanks.

Contact a tile refinisher in your area.

I had this process done, and have been very happy with the
results:
http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

There are similar competing processes. Look for tub and tile
refinishers in your Yellow Pages.

Caveat: I no longer own the home where I had this done, but talked to
several very happy repeat landlord customers who wer epleased with the
longevity. The cost was very reasonable too.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deal with a paint store not HD for this, of course they would say use
compound, bad advise, stripper will remove it, finish with quality oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

[...]

Painted? I never heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it was common once
before but it sounds dumb second only to the HD guy saying to spackle it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. This is tile that actually gets wet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:

Painted? I never heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it was common once
before but it sounds dumb second only to the HD guy saying to spackle it.

oh hell yes.. i've seen this alot.

it's not bad if the tile is prepped before you paint it

Iiiiii've never painted a tile, but I imagine a good soaking with
muriatic acid would make a nice bonding surface

paint is nothing more than colored adhesive

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just re-tile, when you factor the time used to paint it & prepare it, it's
better spent on doing a proper job. Better resale value as well. Most
punters don't like painted tiles.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Todd H.) writes:

writes:

Anyway, any suggestions on my situation? I'll try a second coat of
primer and paint and see if that helps, but not optimistic about that.
Should I try getting ALL the old paint off? If so, should I use some
solvent as opposed to sanding, as the sanding of the peeling part
didn't seem to touch the stuff still adhered. Thanks.

Contact a tile refinisher in your area.

I had this process done, and have been very happy with the
results:
http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

There are similar competing processes. Look for tub and tile
refinishers in your Yellow Pages.

Caveat: I no longer own the home where I had this done, but talked to
several very happy repeat landlord customers who wer epleased with the
longevity. The cost was very reasonable too.

$350 is all it cost to have this done. 3 sides around a tub/shower
all the way to the ceiling.

Went from 70's aquamarine green with dirty grout to a gleaming uniform
white in an afternoon. Best damned tip I ever got from a realtor
I'll tell ya that!

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll see if I can get it done for
$350; I'm guessing it would be more than that now, as the poster said
it's been awhile since his job was done. Otherwise, maybe just
stripping it myself, but then I still have concerns about the paint
job; we've also got a soap dish and towel rack that we'd have to
paint, which seems harder, too.
I figured I'd get a lot of just re-do it responses; I've done patch
jobs on floors before, but don't like the thought of dealing with
cutting tiles and the small grout lines. Anyway, thanks again for all
the responses.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:26:26 +1000, "glenn P"
wrote:

Just re-tile, when you factor the time used to paint it & prepare it, it's
better spent on doing a proper job. Better resale value as well. Most
punters don't like painted tiles.

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Sep 2006 15:34:10 -0500, (Todd H.) wrote:

writes:

On 21 Sep 2006 09:04:45 -0500,
(Todd H.) wrote:

writes:

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll see if I can get it done for
$350; I'm guessing it would be more than that now, as the poster said
it's been awhile since his job was done.

It was less than a year ago I had this done is the good news. The bad
news is that in my job, there was no paint to strip off. And estimate
from a tile refinisher doesn't cost anything though.

Thanks again. Do you know if they spray painted yours? The test tile I
did with a roller looked okay, but not as smooth as it had been, so
I'm guessing it was sprayed before. Also, don't know how to do the
soap dish and towel bar and have it look good without spraying (figure
the brush strokes would show?; no experience with a brush). But also
never done spraying, so hesitate to do that.

They used a air sprayer and heavey duty ventilation. It wasn't just a
paint, it was a coating that chemically and phyically bonded to the
tile surface.

http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

Thanks. I got a quote of $550 from one guy, though that was also based
on me first stripping the old off; he wouldn't do that himself because
it's too much work (probably just not his line of work, too, I'm
guessing). I wonder if what's on there now is also that type of
coating, as the sanding of the peeled part didn't do much to the rest.
If so, then don't know how well our initial plan of painting it
ourselves would work. Jeez... My wife just wants to get this done, so
she went out and bought the paint already, but I'm trying to make sure
it's the right way first.
Guess I'll wait for other call-backs, and check on their procedures,
too. Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"chili palmer" wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:

Painted? I never heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it was common once
before but it sounds dumb second only to the HD guy saying to spackle
it.

oh hell yes.. i've seen this alot.

Well I'll be..."It just goes to show ya. It's always sumthin'." :-)

it's not bad if the tile is prepped before you paint it

Iiiiii've never painted a tile, but I imagine a good soaking with
muriatic acid would make a nice bonding surface

The last tile prepping acid mix had the ratio if you actually want to
etch tile...without paint on them I assume.

paint is nothing more than colored adhesive

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, cutiing tiles & grouting is the cake end of the job.

Removing the old ones, and preparing the surface are the hardest DIY jobs I
have tackled, and I've tackled quite a few with success...

news

wrote:

Just re-tile, when you factor the time used to paint it & prepare it, it's
better spent on doing a proper job. Better resale value as well. Most
punters don't like painted tiles.

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:52:01 +1000, "glenn P"
wrote:

Actually, cutiing tiles & grouting is the cake end of the job.

Removing the old ones, and preparing the surface are the hardest DIY jobs I
have tackled, and I've tackled quite a few with success...

Really? Prepping the surface on my floor was a bit, but in this case
it would just be putting up new drywall. And I've always been quite
handy with a hammer Someone posted that HD will cut the tiles, but
they won't, so I would have to deal with that. Grouting the floor was
easy enough, and maybe the small lines on the walls would even be;
don't know. Then there's also the small caulk lines.
Anyway, I'm going to patch the part that initially came up at the
bottom (just dremeling the old grout and thinset off; already replaced
the bottom drywall) and try to repair it, then try to use some
water/citrus-based stripper to get the old off, and paint it myself.
Worse case, since we already have the paint, I wasted some time and
start over. Still contemplating getting a spray gun to try the
painting that way, though.

news