Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default wire twist pliers

I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

I wonder if any of you have actually used a pair of wire twist pliers,
and what you used them for. At work, or around the house?

They look very useful but only for certain things, and I don't know
what.

The guy who had them had a burglar alarm business, or worked for one.
He installed.or he sold burglar alarms, not quite sure

I've seen these from a distance several times over the decades, but
I've never been so close to one before! I know if I just wait a
while, I'll need them, but I'm impatient.

Thanks a lot
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

mm wrote:
I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

I wonder if any of you have actually used a pair of wire twist pliers,
and what you used them for. At work, or around the house?

They look very useful but only for certain things, and I don't know
what.

The guy who had them had a burglar alarm business, or worked for one.
He installed.or he sold burglar alarms, not quite sure

I've seen these from a distance several times over the decades, but
I've never been so close to one before! I know if I just wait a
while, I'll need them, but I'm impatient.

Thanks a lot

Commonly referred to as safety wire pliers, and yes, I used them quite
a bit. Anything that flies is subject to bolts coming loose through
vibration. So they use special bolts with pin size holes through the
heads, run a length of safety wire through the hole, twist it with the
pliers, pass it through the next bolt, repeating as necessary. I
occasionally use one around the house, like wiring Christmas greenery
to a wire hoop.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I've seen them used was aviation mechanical work, where a lot of
fasteners are safety wired. They can't take a chance on a bolt backing
out or a nut falling off. I've see the used to a lesser degree on
automotive, my wife's Jag has safety wires on the bolts that secure the
rear calipers as they are in a really bad place to work and inspect
(inboard disc brakes).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 16 Sep 2006 21:29:31 -0700, "Eric in North TX"
wrote:

Where I've seen them used was aviation mechanical work, where a lot of
fasteners are safety wired. They can't take a chance on a bolt backing
out or a nut falling off. I've see the used to a lesser degree on
automotive, my wife's Jag has safety wires on the bolts that secure the
rear calipers as they are in a really bad place to work and inspect
(inboard disc brakes).

Thanks guys.

Cool. I'll try to pay more attention to safety, and do some wire
twisting myself.

(I didn't know that aviation fasteners were safety wired. Makes
sense.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
Where I've seen them used was aviation mechanical work, where a lot of
fasteners are safety wired. They can't take a chance on a bolt backing
out or a nut falling off. I've see the used to a lesser degree on
automotive, my wife's Jag has safety wires on the bolts that secure the
rear calipers as they are in a really bad place to work and inspect
(inboard disc brakes).

I worked in a plant building big fetililyzer/pesticide applicators (up
to 90 ft wide). The plant engineer decided that the bolts holding the
wheels on (16 IIRC) needed safety wire. Yep, cross drilled and the
wire run through anyway convenient so at least 1/2 of them could loosen
a half turn. I didn't know about the 'twist at each fastener' thing.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are used for "safety wiring on aircraft
see http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...wiretools.html

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"mm" wrote in message
I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

I wonder if any of you have actually used a pair of wire twist pliers,
and what you used them for. At work, or around the house?

They look very useful but only for certain things, and I don't know
what.

The guy who had them had a burglar alarm business, or worked for one.
He installed.or he sold burglar alarms, not quite sure

I've seen these from a distance several times over the decades, but
I've never been so close to one before! I know if I just wait a
while, I'll need them, but I'm impatient.

Thanks a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

They're safety wire pliers. As others have mentioned, they're used quite a
bit on airplanes, but safety wire can also be used as a tamper indicating
device. If something critical, like a nut or bolt, is safety wired to
something else, and the wire is cut, it means someone has messed with that
piece of equipment. Don't use it until a proper inspection has been done.

Perhaps this is why the alarm guy had them - to somehow seal up the alarm
system box.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:35:49 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

They're safety wire pliers. As others have mentioned, they're used quite a
bit on airplanes, but safety wire can also be used as a tamper indicating
device. If something critical, like a nut or bolt, is safety wired to
something else, and the wire is cut, it means someone has messed with that
piece of equipment. Don't use it until a proper inspection has been done.

Perhaps this is why the alarm guy had them - to somehow seal up the alarm
system box.

Maybe. That would explain it.

He had a couple a bunch of tools, some of which I'm sure the family
took, and others I got including a couple new, still in the box, that
were undoubtedly advertised on late night tv, including the "and if
you act now, you'll receive at no additional charge, this tool worth
25 dollars." So we'll see. It seems the oil drain plug on the '69
honda I just got has a stripped head, and this extra tool is suppose
to fit anything. It has a flat ended screw that tightens to the side
opposite the V.

I'm not sure the head is damaged. Couldn't find a metric wrench to
fit it, and I doubt it is between sizes (my set skips from 15 to 17 to
19mm iirc), but maybe with more light I'll see something different.
It was in the shade late in the day last time. Hmm. It only has 2800
miles on it. How could that plug be stripped already? (If it is,
I'll by a new one but only after I get the engine running. Hasn't run
for 35 years.)

changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery GuitarPsych Electronics 18 April 10th 06 12:11 AM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch Phil Anderson Home Repair 35 January 26th 04 12:36 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM