Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default wire twist pliers

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:35:49 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I recently got an estate closeout, in a box of tools, a wire twist
tool that looks very much like this one.

http://www.stahlwilleaerospace.com/WireTwist.html

Except mine doesn't have the choice of left, right, and lock. Only
left.

They're safety wire pliers. As others have mentioned, they're used quite a
bit on airplanes, but safety wire can also be used as a tamper indicating
device. If something critical, like a nut or bolt, is safety wired to
something else, and the wire is cut, it means someone has messed with that
piece of equipment. Don't use it until a proper inspection has been done.

Perhaps this is why the alarm guy had them - to somehow seal up the alarm
system box.

Maybe. That would explain it.

He had a couple a bunch of tools, some of which I'm sure the family
took, and others I got including a couple new, still in the box, that
were undoubtedly advertised on late night tv, including the "and if
you act now, you'll receive at no additional charge, this tool worth
25 dollars." So we'll see. It seems the oil drain plug on the '69
honda I just got has a stripped head, and this extra tool is suppose
to fit anything. It has a flat ended screw that tightens to the side
opposite the V.

I'm not sure the head is damaged. Couldn't find a metric wrench to
fit it, and I doubt it is between sizes (my set skips from 15 to 17 to
19mm iirc), but maybe with more light I'll see something different.
It was in the shade late in the day last time. Hmm. It only has 2800
miles on it. How could that plug be stripped already? (If it is,
I'll by a new one but only after I get the engine running. Hasn't run
for 35 years.)