Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default wire twist pliers

Eric in North TX wrote:
Where I've seen them used was aviation mechanical work, where a lot of
fasteners are safety wired. They can't take a chance on a bolt backing
out or a nut falling off. I've see the used to a lesser degree on
automotive, my wife's Jag has safety wires on the bolts that secure the
rear calipers as they are in a really bad place to work and inspect
(inboard disc brakes).

I worked in a plant building big fetililyzer/pesticide applicators (up
to 90 ft wide). The plant engineer decided that the bolts holding the
wheels on (16 IIRC) needed safety wire. Yep, cross drilled and the
wire run through anyway convenient so at least 1/2 of them could loosen
a half turn. I didn't know about the 'twist at each fastener' thing.

Harry K