Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting sump pump hole in concrete floor.

I need to cut a hole in a basement concrete floor in a house that I own so I
can put in a sump pump.

I know how to do all of the sump pump stuff, but I'm not sure if there are
any tricks to cutting the hole in the concrete. The concrete seems *very*
hard (it sort seems like it's a finer texture and much harder to chip at or
break than most concrete). I have tried drilling into this concrete in the
past with a concrete drill bit and it seemed to go nowhere.

The main thing I want to avoid is creating a crack in the concrete while
chipping or cutting out the opening. So, I'm wondering if I could buy some
kind of one-time-use circular saw blade and cut grooves around the perimeter
of the hole where the concrete would break/crack instead of the
breaks/cracks extending outward past the opening.

I know this is somewhat vague, but any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would
certainly be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BETA-2K wrote:

[...]

If you use a saw dry, you will have a house full of dust.

Rent a hammer drill instead and swiss-cheese the perimeter,
then break out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BETA-2K wrote:
[...]

You can rent concrete hole saws like those use for installing below-grade
safes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

there is always the trusty old chainsaw

http://www.capecodconcretecutting.com/chain_sawing.html

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

BETA-2K wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Rent a hammer drill instead and swiss-cheese the perimeter,
then break out.

Thanks. That might be an option. I'll check it out when I am at the rental
placing checking out the other idea (about renting "a concrete hole saws
like those use for installing below-grade safes".).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message

You can rent concrete hole saws like those use for installing below-grade
safes.

I didn't knew there was such a thing. I'll check it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:12:17 -0400, "BETA-2K"
wrote:

I need to cut a hole in a basement concrete floor in a house that I own so I
can put in a sump pump.

'Tis an alligator with which I wrestled some years ago ...

I know how to do all of the sump pump stuff, but I'm not sure if there are
any tricks to cutting the hole in the concrete. The concrete seems *very*
hard (it sort seems like it's a finer texture and much harder to chip at or
break than most concrete). I have tried drilling into this concrete in the
past with a concrete drill bit and it seemed to go nowhere.

Hammer drill with a nice, fresh percussion bit?

The main thing I want to avoid is creating a crack in the concrete while
chipping or cutting out the opening.

This was my greatest fear. I had a vision of a hideous crack
running the length of the basement ...

So, I'm wondering if I could buy some
kind of one-time-use circular saw blade and cut grooves around the perimeter
of the hole where the concrete would break/crack instead of the
breaks/cracks extending outward past the opening.

This is very close to what I did. I think I had to buy 2 7.25"
concrete
blades from Home Depot. Spec'd it out -very- carefully, cut out a
square with my minimum duty circular saw, maybe 1.25" deep. Then I
banged and banged with a big hammer/maul until it fell out.
Almost -perfectly- clean, no sizable cracks, tiny chip or 2.
I was much relieved.

I know this is somewhat vague, but any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would
certainly be appreciated.

They've got better concrete cutting tools than what I used at the
rental places. Dunno how hard they are to handle. Likely helps if
you're built like Dick Dee Bruiser (I am 140 lbs with bad back).

The guy that warned about the dust wasn't kidding. It's not just
hideous and insideous: I think it gets in your pipes, it forms a
compound like lye, can do much harm if ya don't have proper breathing
protection. Cleanup is a certified PITA.

Also, I'm told that you can find most anything (i.e. rerod) in the
floor. Mine was just 2-2.5" of concrete, but I can't speak for
yours.

Not clear? Ask Q's.

Cheers,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. That really helps. I didn't think about the possibility of wire
mesh or rebar being in the concrete. I'm hoping to try this later this week
and I'll post how it worked out.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:22:01 -0400, "BETA-2K"
wrote:

Thanks. That really helps. I didn't think about the possibility of wire
mesh or rebar being in the concrete. I'm hoping to try this later this week
and I'll post how it worked out.

WAIT!!!!!! :-)

I neglected to mention, you have to (repeat HAVE TO)
have a solid understanding of what's under the
floor before you can choose the spot for the sump
pit.

My first choice was close to my drain stack. Didn't
take long to figger that I'd run into the drain
line to the street after I'd dug a foot or 2.

Do you know where the drains are located?
What else might be in/under the basement floor and
where might it be located?

Don't neglect to plan for the concrete dust. A
water feed'll help, but it's still a big mess.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

Do you know where the drains are located?

Yes.

What else might be in/under the basement floor and
where might it be located?

Nothing else. I know where the water, gas, and electric lines are -- all
above the floor line.

Don't neglect to plan for the concrete dust. A
water feed'll help, but it's still a big mess.

Anything I ever do seems to involve a big mess, so I'm not expecting this to
be any exception.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BETA-2K wrote:
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

Do you know where the drains are located?

Yes.

What else might be in/under the basement floor and
where might it be located?

Nothing else. I know where the water, gas, and electric lines are -- all
above the floor line.

Don't neglect to plan for the concrete dust. A
water feed'll help, but it's still a big mess.

Anything I ever do seems to involve a big mess, so I'm not expecting this to
be any exception.

Thanks again.

Others have given good advice. My project was the same as yours. I
didn't try to make the hole neat, just rented a rotohammer, drilled
lots of holes (it doesn't take long), then beat the **** out of it with
a sledge. That also didn't take long. Not much of a mess either. I
wasn't concerned about 'neat' as I needed to chisel a trench along two
sides of the basement to channel water to the sump (no way to put drain
lines outside due to patios, etc. Now that project was fun, hours and
hours during a winter of using a single jack and getting sore fingers
picking broken concrete out of the trench.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

a couple thoughts....

if you live where it freezes put pump in a heated space so the line
from pump to discharge doesnt freeze, remember the pump will have a
check valve.

its important to consider where your discharging the water. IF YOUR
HOME IS ABOVE GROUND LEVEL THINK ABOUT FORGETTING THE PUMP you may be
better off draing the underfloor water away from the building.

do realize a sump pump is only works when the power is on.

i had a basement flood because of storm Ivan, it doid lots of damage
right when I was trying to sell the house.

I should of drained the water to the front of home well away from
foundation

Posted to alt.home.repair

One last recommend.

Choose your sump basin, buy it, take down the
basement before you do measurements.

Plan -everything- well before the first cut.
Write specs down. Review the next day.

You know the old saw: measure twice,
cut once. I'd measur 3-4 times. :-)

Good Luck,
Puddin'

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:34:29 -0400, "BETA-2K"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

Do you know where the drains are located?

Yes.

What else might be in/under the basement floor and
where might it be located?

Nothing else. I know where the water, gas, and electric lines are -- all
above the floor line.

Don't neglect to plan for the concrete dust. A
water feed'll help, but it's still a big mess.

Anything I ever do seems to involve a big mess, so I'm not expecting this to
be any exception.

Thanks again.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Harry K :

Ooops. Hit 'send' too soon. Your point about protecting the line from
freezing is very good. Only the line needs protecting though as the
pump won't freeze in a normal basement. Of course there are always
exceptions and in really severe climates, the pump itself might need
protecting.

The lines from our sumps are well above the frost line. Even
more so, in most sumps, the outlet is exposed directly to the
weather (which occasionally drops below -40F here).

The real key here is to ensure that you have a continuous
downwards slope in the line, so the portions of the line
exposed to freezing temperatures will self-drain.

And by avoiding the placement of the outlet in a puddle ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est