Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Cutting sump pump hole in concrete floor.

wrote:
a couple thoughts....

if you live where it freezes put pump in a heated space so the line
from pump to discharge doesnt freeze, remember the pump will have a
check valve.

its important to consider where your discharging the water. IF YOUR
HOME IS ABOVE GROUND LEVEL THINK ABOUT FORGETTING THE PUMP you may be
better off draing the underfloor water away from the building.

do realize a sump pump is only works when the power is on.

i had a basement flood because of storm Ivan, it doid lots of damage
right when I was trying to sell the house.

I should of drained the water to the front of home well away from
foundation

Ooops. Hit 'send' too soon. Your point about protecting the line from
freezing is very good. Only the line needs protecting though as the
pump won't freeze in a normal basement. Of course there are always
exceptions and in really severe climates, the pump itself might need
protecting.

Harry K