Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Cutting sump pump hole in concrete floor.

BETA-2K wrote:
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

Do you know where the drains are located?

Yes.

What else might be in/under the basement floor and
where might it be located?

Nothing else. I know where the water, gas, and electric lines are -- all
above the floor line.

Don't neglect to plan for the concrete dust. A
water feed'll help, but it's still a big mess.

Anything I ever do seems to involve a big mess, so I'm not expecting this to
be any exception.

Thanks again.

Others have given good advice. My project was the same as yours. I
didn't try to make the hole neat, just rented a rotohammer, drilled
lots of holes (it doesn't take long), then beat the **** out of it with
a sledge. That also didn't take long. Not much of a mess either. I
wasn't concerned about 'neat' as I needed to chisel a trench along two
sides of the basement to channel water to the sump (no way to put drain
lines outside due to patios, etc. Now that project was fun, hours and
hours during a winter of using a single jack and getting sore fingers
picking broken concrete out of the trench.

Harry K