Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Default Determining proper Ground in warehouse electrical system

Hello,
I have been searching this topic for an answer to a question about
proper grounding of a home/warehouse. I couldn't find anything that
precise, so I need to ask...and hopefully this gets worked out.

I am concerned whether I need to attach the Grounding Bar to the
Neutral Bar in my Main Circuit Panel. In my warehouse, the electricity
comes through the meter, and at the bottom of this tall Meter Enclosure
is a pipe (coming out the side) that attaches to a metal Water Pipe
(which is the Main Ground, I believe). Next in the path of electricity
is a electrical box that splits the incoming electricity to two
electrical circuit panels (one 240/120v and one "Wild Leg" system).
The Main Circuit Panel I am concerned with is the 240/120v panel which
controls most of the lighting, appliance and outlets in my warehouse
(the Wild Leg is at the other end of my warehouse and once used for
lathes, grinders, etc...and is a whole other story...). So, in this
Main Circuit Panel, the Ground Bar IS NOT ATTACHED to the Neutral Bar,
and I fear that this means I have no proper ground for grounded
circuits in my warehouse (and, there are no green/ground electrical
wires in the Main Circuit Panel anyway, which leads me to believe that
all the three-pronged outlets in this warehouse are not properly
grounded to begin with!!).

My questions is: should I connect the Grounding Bar to my Neutral Bar?
I ask this because I want to add recessed lighting to my kitchen which
requires a proper grounding of the system, and I wondering if I should
ground the new system within my Main Circuit Panel or whether I should
ground the system directly to a water pipe within my warehouse? All
the other electric lines are only Hot/Neutral, and since I am working
with Romex and 12/2 cable, I'm unclear of the proceedure.

Thank you in advance for your answer(s).

Best,
SRK

Posted to alt.home.repair

have you checked the existing 3 prong outlets with a circuit tester?

how old is the building / electrical system?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Hello,
I have not tested the 3-prong outlets with a circuit tester. The
building is from the 30's but the electrical system is much, much newer
(I can't be precise).

SRK

wrote:
have you checked the existing 3 prong outlets with a circuit tester?

how old is the building / electrical system?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SRK wrote:
Hello,
I have not tested the 3-prong outlets with a circuit tester. The
building is from the 30's but the electrical system is much, much newer
(I can't be precise).

Not being able to see it from here , I think your best bet would be
to get an electrician to look at it.

If i was wired w/ x/3 and there aren't ground wires in the box, then
there shouldn't be 3-prong outlets. I suppose there could GFI
somewhere but can't see that, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the box with the meter, also has disconnect breakers in it, that would be
the location where the grounding and grounded conductors get attached
together. All panels beyond that point become sub panels. In your case, one
would be fed from the main panel with four wires, two hots, one neutral and
one ground and the three phase panel would be fed with five wires, three
hots, one neutral, and one ground. In both sub panels, the neutral buss and
the grounding buss will be separate

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Hello,
I checked my Main Circuit Panel and the 3-phase panel boxes, they are 3
(two hot, one neutral) and 4 (3-hot, one nuetral) connectors
respectively. Does this then mean that I SHOULD connect the Grounding
bar to the Neutral bar...and in both sub-panels?

Thank you for the response,
SRK

"SRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I just now noticed that it appears you may be in the UK, in which case,
disregard everything I've said. What I've described is how this is done in
the US under the NEC. Keep in mind though that the "grounding" conductor
does not come into the panel with the service conductors.

oups.com...

"SRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Hello,
I am in the US, I just have a UK email address for Yahoo.

I still am looking for whether I should connect the Grounding Bar to
the Neutral Bar within my Main Circuit Panel and any other subpanels,
since none have a Ground cable/connector coming in from the Meter/Main
Breaker.

-SRK

"SRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I am in the US, I just have a UK email address for Yahoo.

I still am looking for whether I should connect the Grounding Bar to
the Neutral Bar within my Main Circuit Panel and any other subpanels,
since none have a Ground cable/connector coming in from the Meter/Main
Breaker.

-SRK

It is possible that the metal conduit is being used as the main grounding
conductor. In that case the ground bar is grounded and there is no need to
install an additional grounding conductor.

"SRK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Are there any wires connected to the ground bar? You said there are no green
wires and no bare wires. This implies the ground bar is empty with no wires
connected to it? So all circuits going out from the panel are two-wire
cables? If this is the case, then what is the ground pin of all three-prong
receptacles connected to?

This is not a likely scenerio (no grounding system but have 3-prong
receptacles). Perhaps I misunderstood. The best thing is to post on some web
space the photos of the panels involved.

Could the box that splits out 240/120v and 3phase already connect the ground
and neutral together?

I suggest you not modify anything until it is absolutely clear what the
situation is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Hello,
I checked inside the main breaker (where also the 240/120 and 3-phase
split) and the Neutral and Ground cable are connected inside that box.

So, inside my subpanels, should the Ground and Neutral remain
unconnected? Also, where then do my Ground connections inside my Romex
connections get connected? Only to the outlet boxes and light switch
boxes?

Thank you for your assistance,
SRK
John wrote:
"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In your sub panels you should have separate ground and neutral busses- not
connected together. The grounds of your romex cables go to the ground buss
and the neutrals to the neutral buss

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I checked inside the main breaker (where also the 240/120 and 3-phase
split) and the Neutral and Ground cable are connected inside that box.

So, inside my subpanels, should the Ground and Neutral remain
unconnected? Also, where then do my Ground connections inside my Romex
connections get connected? Only to the outlet boxes and light switch
boxes?

Thank you for your assistance,
SRK
John wrote:
"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRK SRK is offline

Hello,
Great. I understand and can apply the knowledge. Thank you very much.

-Steve

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I checked inside the main breaker (where also the 240/120 and 3-phase
split) and the Neutral and Ground cable are connected inside that box.

So, inside my subpanels, should the Ground and Neutral remain
unconnected? Also, where then do my Ground connections inside my Romex
connections get connected? Only to the outlet boxes and light switch
boxes?

Thank you for your assistance,
SRK
John wrote: