Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Determining proper Ground in warehouse electrical system

In your sub panels you should have separate ground and neutral busses- not
connected together. The grounds of your romex cables go to the ground buss
and the neutrals to the neutral buss

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I checked inside the main breaker (where also the 240/120 and 3-phase
split) and the Neutral and Ground cable are connected inside that box.

So, inside my subpanels, should the Ground and Neutral remain
unconnected? Also, where then do my Ground connections inside my Romex
connections get connected? Only to the outlet boxes and light switch
boxes?

Thank you for your assistance,
SRK
John wrote:
"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am concerned whether I need to attach the Grounding Bar to the
Neutral Bar in my Main Circuit Panel. In my warehouse, the electricity
comes through the meter, and at the bottom of this tall Meter Enclosure
is a pipe (coming out the side) that attaches to a metal Water Pipe
(which is the Main Ground, I believe). Next in the path of electricity
is a electrical box that splits the incoming electricity to two
electrical circuit panels (one 240/120v and one "Wild Leg" system).
The Main Circuit Panel I am concerned with is the 240/120v panel which
controls most of the lighting, appliance and outlets in my warehouse
(the Wild Leg is at the other end of my warehouse and once used for
lathes, grinders, etc...and is a whole other story...). So, in this
Main Circuit Panel, the Ground Bar IS NOT ATTACHED to the Neutral Bar,
and I fear that this means I have no proper ground for grounded
circuits in my warehouse (and, there are no green/ground electrical
wires in the Main Circuit Panel anyway, which leads me to believe that
all the three-pronged outlets in this warehouse are not properly
grounded to begin with!!).

My questions is: should I connect the Grounding Bar to my Neutral Bar?
I ask this because I want to add recessed lighting to my kitchen which
requires a proper grounding of the system, and I wondering if I should
ground the new system within my Main Circuit Panel or whether I should
ground the system directly to a water pipe within my warehouse? All
the other electric lines are only Hot/Neutral, and since I am working
with Romex and 12/2 cable, I'm unclear of the proceedure.

Are there any wires connected to the ground bar? You said there are no
green
wires and no bare wires. This implies the ground bar is empty with no
wires
connected to it? So all circuits going out from the panel are two-wire
cables? If this is the case, then what is the ground pin of all
three-prong
receptacles connected to?

This is not a likely scenerio (no grounding system but have 3-prong
receptacles). Perhaps I misunderstood. The best thing is to post on some
web
space the photos of the panels involved.

Could the box that splits out 240/120v and 3phase already connect the
ground
and neutral together?

I suggest you not modify anything until it is absolutely clear what the
situation is.