Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Determining proper Ground in warehouse electrical system

No, in sub panels the neutral and ground busses are kept separate.

"SRK" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I checked my Main Circuit Panel and the 3-phase panel boxes, they are 3
(two hot, one neutral) and 4 (3-hot, one nuetral) connectors
respectively. Does this then mean that I SHOULD connect the Grounding
bar to the Neutral bar...and in both sub-panels?

Thank you for the response,
SRK

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If the box with the meter, also has disconnect breakers in it, that would
be
the location where the grounding and grounded conductors get attached
together. All panels beyond that point become sub panels. In your case,
one
would be fed from the main panel with four wires, two hots, one neutral
and
one ground and the three phase panel would be fed with five wires, three
hots, one neutral, and one ground. In both sub panels, the neutral buss
and
the grounding buss will be separate

"SRK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I have been searching this topic for an answer to a question about
proper grounding of a home/warehouse. I couldn't find anything that
precise, so I need to ask...and hopefully this gets worked out.

I am concerned whether I need to attach the Grounding Bar to the
Neutral Bar in my Main Circuit Panel. In my warehouse, the electricity
comes through the meter, and at the bottom of this tall Meter Enclosure
is a pipe (coming out the side) that attaches to a metal Water Pipe
(which is the Main Ground, I believe). Next in the path of electricity
is a electrical box that splits the incoming electricity to two
electrical circuit panels (one 240/120v and one "Wild Leg" system).
The Main Circuit Panel I am concerned with is the 240/120v panel which
controls most of the lighting, appliance and outlets in my warehouse
(the Wild Leg is at the other end of my warehouse and once used for
lathes, grinders, etc...and is a whole other story...). So, in this
Main Circuit Panel, the Ground Bar IS NOT ATTACHED to the Neutral Bar,
and I fear that this means I have no proper ground for grounded
circuits in my warehouse (and, there are no green/ground electrical
wires in the Main Circuit Panel anyway, which leads me to believe that
all the three-pronged outlets in this warehouse are not properly
grounded to begin with!!).

My questions is: should I connect the Grounding Bar to my Neutral Bar?
I ask this because I want to add recessed lighting to my kitchen which
requires a proper grounding of the system, and I wondering if I should
ground the new system within my Main Circuit Panel or whether I should
ground the system directly to a water pipe within my warehouse? All
the other electric lines are only Hot/Neutral, and since I am working
with Romex and 12/2 cable, I'm unclear of the proceedure.

Thank you in advance for your answer(s).

Best,
SRK