Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

Laser levels - why not just use string?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Where would you put the batteries?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

, 8/25/2006,6:38:02 AM, wrote:

Laser levels - why not just use string?

How would you impress your neighbors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Aug 2006 03:38:02 -0700, wrote:

Laser levels - why not just use string?

Or a bubble level. I installed 1000's of feet of crown molding
without a laser level. I used a 4 foot level and a pencil mark.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

How do you level the string, how do you obtain a single 'correct'
reference high by using string, yes I know it is possible to do it
with string, tape measure and bubble level but it's a lot easier to
use a laser and stand!

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Laser levels - why not just use string?

so true. Last time I used one I quickly realised a large spirit level
was much quicker.

NT

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

I once saw some drainage laid out on site with had been levelled with
string. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Because only the cat gets any fun playing with a ball of string.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Because only the cat gets any fun playing with a ball of string.

And, more to the point, it doesn't show any interest in the laser level
and hence you are free to get on with the job. (been there done that...
little bugger)

Mathew

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Laser levels - why not just use string?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Because only the cat gets any fun playing with a ball of string.

And, more to the point, it doesn't show any interest in the laser
level and hence you are free to get on with the job. (been there done
that... little bugger)

There may be something wrong with your cat !

Ours chases the laser dot to exhaustion. We call it the "cat exerciser."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

The message
from Douglas de Lacey contains these words:

"There is no force, however great,
Can stretch a cord, however fine,
Into a horizontal line,
Which is accurately straight"

Ah, d'yer remember the way exam questions were phrased? "Two masses are
connected with a light inextensible string..."

--
Skipweasel
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

When your not using it as a level, it makes an OK cat toy (with the
laser is on).

That and string sags.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

HeyBub wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:
Phil Anthropist wrote:
wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Because only the cat gets any fun playing with a ball of string.

And, more to the point, it doesn't show any interest in the laser
level and hence you are free to get on with the job. (been there done
that... little bugger)

There may be something wrong with your cat !

Ours chases the laser dot to exhaustion. We call it the "cat exerciser."

I was more referring to the line... but, yes, a dot sends them nutty. I
reckon I could actually kill one of ours through exhaustion as they
don't seem to know when they're worn out.

Indeed, I never knew cats panted until I got a laser pointer...

Mathew

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
says...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Is that what you get when you leave a cat and a canary in the same
room?

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On 25 Aug 2006 03:38:02 -0700, wrote:

Laser levels - why not just use string?

Or a bubble level. I installed 1000's of feet of crown molding
without a laser level. I used a 4 foot level and a pencil mark.

What the F*&K is a pencil? Could you use a lap top?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Highly advanced mathematics:

No force on earth however great
Can stretch a string however fine
into a horizontal line
which will be absolutely straight

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Douglas de Lacey wrote:
wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

"There is no force, however great,
Can stretch a cord, however fine,
Into a horizontal line,
Which is accurately straight"
(W Whewell, Elementary Treatise on Mechanics 1st ed, p 44).

Douglas de Lacey

Surely a line can be perfectly straight or perfectly horizontal, but not
both. Except for a zero-length line, of course.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Not string. Bucket, water, and tubing:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Laser levels - why not just use string?

String also involves the use of grey matter. Something that is lacking in
most people today. You have to know how to do it to do it.

Everything that is done with a laser can be done with string, measuring
tape, level, and half a brain. Except, that is, to throw a red dot out
there that the cat can play with.

Now, there are two lasers. Real lasers and play lasers. Real lasers can be
useful in throwing a line all around a room, or against a building, or
otherwise put up a mark that is easier than using the old ways. It is just
that they are very expensive, and one must know a lot about how to make them
work, and be sure that they are working properly. Anyone can throw up a
laser line, attach cabinets or molding, and be done with it. But, is it
right? Or do you end up with a kitchen full of crooked cabinets and molding
before you realize the thing is off?

Takes less time to do it the old way.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

How long would it have to be?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:43:37 +0100 Mike Barnes wrote :
Surely a line can be perfectly straight or perfectly horizontal, but not
both. Except for a zero-length line, of course.

Ah yes. On a tour we went to see the longest pier in Queensland, used for
middle is six foot above a straight line joining the ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Norman Billingham wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Laser levels - why not just use string?

Highly advanced mathematics:

No force on earth however great
Can stretch a string however fine
into a horizontal line
which will be absolutely straight

I read a long time ago, that if a fly lands on a horizontally installed
steel girder, the girder will sag from the fly's weight. Of course, the
sag can only be measured with some very expensive equipment that none of
us possess.

-
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:43:37 +0100 Mike Barnes wrote :
Surely a line can be perfectly straight or perfectly horizontal, but not
both. Except for a zero-length line, of course.

Ah yes. On a tour we went to see the longest pier in Queensland, used for
middle is six foot above a straight line joining the ends.

The pier is six miles long? If it's six inches rather than six feet,
that would make the pier about one and three-quarter miles long. I found
Urangan Pier, which is supposedly 1.4 km, a little under a mile. Is that
the one?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:21:57 -0400 Harlan Messinger wrote :
The pier is six miles long? If it's six inches rather than six feet,
that would make the pier about one and three-quarter miles long. I found
Urangan Pier, which is supposedly 1.4 km, a little under a mile. Is that
the one?

No, Lucinda, further north:

"Situated about 100 kilometers north of Townsville, on the northeast coast of Australia, the Port of Lucinda is dedicated to the export of raw sugar from the Ingham sugar-growing district. It comprises on-shore sugar handling and storage facilities, with a single trestle jetty and conveyor running out to an offshore berth and ship loader. The jetty is one of the longest of its type in the world, extending for 5.6 kilometers and dipping 1.2 meters over its length as it follows the curvature of the earth. Sugar takes 22 minutes to travel along the conveyor from the on-shore storage sheds to the ship loader."

So four foot in old money

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:o...n&client=opera

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Laser levels - why not just use string?

The beam of light from a ball of string is crap.
--

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

... The jetty is one of the longest of its type in the world, extending for
5.6 kilometers and dipping 1.2 meters over its length as it follows the
curvature of the earth.

Hmmm. I woulda thunk half that, ie r-sqrt(r^2-2.8^2), where r = 12,756.3 km.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

Tried stretching a string 600 feet or so?

Tried pointing a piece of string, from a ladder at one end?

Tried drilling two holes at right-angles from different sides of a door
frame, and having the ends meet up exactly?

--
Ian White
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:

Tried drilling two holes at right-angles from different sides of a
door frame, and having the ends meet up exactly?

How you do that?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Laser levels Phisherman Woodworking 26 February 16th 06 04:40 AM
creating a golf ball Cliff Metalworking 5 October 24th 05 04:37 PM
Central Heating Pumps, and Pump Ball Valves Mike Dodd UK diy 9 April 28th 05 01:11 AM
Laser levels Dan Hartung Home Repair 17 December 23rd 04 04:16 AM
Screwfix laser levels - any good? Dave UK diy 21 September 5th 04 10:51 PM