Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Laser levels - why not just use a ball of string?

wrote:
Laser levels - why not just use string?

They look better in the dark.

Seriously though, there are many uses when it's just 'easier' to use
one over the other.

For example, whilst plasterboarding a ceiling recently I set the the
laser level on the floor marking out where the centre joist was... with
the board then in position it was a simple task to then screw down this
line. Sure, I could've marked the position of the joist at both ends
and drawn a line across, or lay some string between the two points, or
even just judged it by eye, but my cheap-and-cheerful laser level made
it a no brainer.

Horses for courses at the end of the day...

Another thought, which may be pushing things a bit too far, is that a
piece of string suspended between two points is never going to be
perfectly level (in terms of being straight) - there will always be a
slight curve in it no matter how tensioned the string is (particularly
so over longer distances). Of course, in practice the curve may not
make any difference to the task and indeed my cheapo laser prism may
not be any better!

Mathew