Cliff

Default creating a golf ball

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:07:16 GMT, wrote:

I second that, WOW, it's amazing the know how that goes into a golfball.

Del

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:47:10 GMT, Billy Hiebert
wrote:

fossill wrote:
I'm wondering how I could go about modeling a golf ball in SW. Heres
what I've done so far:

create a sphere
create a dimple in the sphere (using a revcut)
pattern that dimple around the sphere

so now all I have is a sphere with one row of dimples. Even if i were
able to create more "rows", thats nothing like the real golf ball i
have sitting on my desk.

what gives!? Any ideas, suggestions, and of course tutorial would be
great.

This might be of some help:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20050009639

Here is a part from the above site:

The Dimple Pattern of the Cover

[0088] Turning now to the dimple technology employed in the instant
invention, as was discussed previously, the manipulation of the dimple
configuration also yield a golf ball with improved characteristics of
play. As stated previously, the preferred geometry is a
rhombicosadodecahedron. Accordingly, the scope of this invention
provides a golf ball mold whose molding surface contains a uniform
pattern to give the golf ball a dimple configuration superior to those
of the art. The invention is preferably described in terms of the golf
ball that results from the mold, but could be described within the scope
of this invention in terms of the mold structure that produces a golf
ball.

[0089] To assist in locating the dimples on the golf ball, the golf ball
of this invention has its outer spherical surface partitioned by the
projection of a plurality of polygonal configurations onto the outer
surface. That is, the formation or division that results from a
particular arrangement of different polygons on the outer surface of a
golf ball is referred to herein as a "plurality of polygonal
configurations." A view of one side of a golf ball 5 showing a preferred
division of the golf ball's outer surface 7 is illustrated in FIG. 2.

[0090] In the preferred embodiment, a polygonal configuration known as a
rhombicosadodecahedron is projected onto the surface of a sphere. A
rhombicosadodecahedron is a type of polyhedron which contains thirty
(30) squares, twenty (20) polyhedra of one type, and twelve (12)
polyhedra of another type. The term "rhombicosadodecahedron" is derived
from "dodecahedron," meaning a twelve (12) sided polyhedron;
"icosahedron," meaning a twenty (20) sided polyhedron, and "rhombus"
meaning a four sided polyhedron.

[0091] The rhombicosadodecahedron of the preferred embodiment is
comprised of thirty (30) squares 12, twelve (12) pentagons 10, and
twenty (20) triangles 14, as shown in FIG. 2. It has a uniform pattern
of pentagons with each pentagon bounded by triangles and squares. The
uniform pattern is achieved when each regular pentagon 10 has only
regular squares 12 adjacent to its five boundary lines, and when a
regular triangle 14 extends from each of the five vertices of the
pentagon. Five (5) squares 12 and five (5) triangles 14 form a set of
polygons around each pentagon. Two boundary lines of each square are
common with two pentagon boundary lines, and each triangle has its
vertices common with three pentagon vertices.

[0092] The outer surface of the ball is further defined by a pair of
poles and an uninterrupted equatorial great circle path around the
surface. A great circle path is defined by the intersection between the
spherical surface and a plane that passes through the center of the
sphere. (An infinite number of great circle paths may be drawn on any
sphere.) The uninterrupted equatorial great circle path in the preferred
embodiment corresponds to a mold parting line, which separates the golf
ball into two hemispheres. The uninterrupted great circle path is
described as uninterrupted because it has no dimples on it. The mold
parting line is located from the poles in substantially the same manner
as the equator of the earth is located from the north and south poles.

[0093] Referring to FIG. 3, the poles 70 are located at the center of a
pentagon 10 on the top and bottom sides of the ball, as illustrated in
this view of one such side. The mold parting line 30 is at the outer
edge of the circle in this planar view of the golf ball. In the
embodiment shown in FIG. 4, the poles 72 are both located at the center
of the square on the top and bottom of the golf ball, as illustrated in
this view of one such side. (The top and bottom views are identical.)
The mold parting line 40 is at the outer edge of the circle in this
planar view of the golf ball.

[0094] Dimples are placed on the outer surface of the golf ball based on
segments of the plurality of polygonal configurations described above.
In the preferred embodiment, three (3) dimples are associated with each
triangle, five (5) dimples are associated with each square, and sixteen
(16) dimples are associated with each pentagon. The term "associated" as
used herein in relation to the dimples and the polyhedra means that the
polyhedra are used as a guide for placing the dimples.

[0095] In the preferred embodiment, there are a total of 402 dimples.
Advantageously, this decrease in the number of dimples when compared to
prior art golf balls results in a geometrical configuration that
contributes to the aerodynamic stability of the instant golf ball.
Aerodynamic stability is reflected in greater control over the movement
of the instant golf ball.

[0096] The dimple configuration of the preferred embodiment is shown in
FIGS. 5-8. It is based on the projection of the rhombicosadodecahedron
shown in FIG. 3. The ball has a total of 402 dimples. The plurality of
dimples on the surface of the ball are selected from three sets of
dimples, with each set having different sized dimples. Dimples 200 are
in the first set, dimples 202 are in the second set, and dimples 204 are
in the third set. Dimples are selected from all three sets to form a
first pattern associated with the pentagon 10. All sides 206 of each
pentagon are intersected by two dimples 200 from the first set of
dimples and one dimple 202 from the second set of dimples. All pentagons
10 have the same general first pattern arrangement of dimples.

[0097] Dimples 200, 202 and 204 (from all three sets of dimples) are
also used to form a second pattern associated with the squares 12. All
sides 208 of each square 12 are intersected by dimples 202 from the
second set of dimples, and all squares have the same general second
pattern arrangement of dimples.

[0098] Dimples 202 from the second set of dimples form a third pattern
associated with the triangles 14. All sides 210 of each triangle are
intersected by a dimple 202 from this second set of dimples. All
triangles have this same general third pattern arrangement of dimples.
The mold parting line 30 is the only dimple free great circle path on
this ball.

[0099] Advantageously, the use of a single uninterrupted mold parting
line leads to superior aerodynamic properties in the instant golf ball.
The single mold parting line results in less severe separation between
the dimples, i.e. less "bald spots" on the surface of the ball. This in
turn increases the effectiveness of the dimples on the golf ball.
Advantageously, increasing the effectiveness of the dimples by reducing
the land area on the surface of the golf ball improves the aerodynamic
properties of the instant golf ball with regard to distance and control.

[0100] A single radius (Radius 1) describes the entire shape of the
dimple. Dimple size is measured by a diameter and depth generally
according to the teachings of U.S. Pat. No. 4,936,587 (the '587 patent),
which is included herein by reference thereto. An exception to the
teaching of the '587 patent is the measurement of the depth, which is
discussed below. A cross-sectional view through a typical dimple 6 is
illustrated in FIG. 9. The diameter Dd used herein is defined as the
distance from edge E to edge F of the dimple. Edges are constructed in
this cross-sectional view of the dimple by having a periphery 50 and a
continuation thereof 51 of the dimple 6. The periphery and its
continuation are substantially a smooth surface of a sphere. An arc 52
is inset about 0.003 inches below curve 50-51-50 and intersects the
dimple at point E' and F'. Tangents 53 and 53' are tangent to the dimple
6 at points E' and F" respectively and intersect periphery continuation
51 at edges E and F respectively. The exception to the teaching of '587
noted above is that the depth d is defined herein to be the distance
from the chord 55 between edges E an F of the dimple 6 to the deepest
part of the dimple cross sectional surface 6(a), rather than a
continuation of the periphery 51 of an outer surface 50 of the golf
ball. In the preferred embodiment, dimples 200 from the first set have a
diameter of 0.156 inches; dimples 202 from the second set have a
diameter of 0.145 inches, and dimples 204 from the third set have a
diameter of 0.142 inches. Dimples 200 have a depth of 0.0080 inches.
Dimples 202 have a depth of 0.0078 inches. Dimples 204 have a depth of
0.0076 inches. All dimples 200, 202, and 204 are single radius in cross
section.

[0101] Advantageously, the use of dimples that are single radius in
cross section improves the performance of the instant golf ball with
respect to both distance and control of the movement of the golf ball
given the high spin rate of the instant high performance three-piece
ball. The presence of single radius dimples allows for a soft trajectory
in the golf ball's flight on iron shots. In turn, this soft trajectory
leads to a soft entry of the golf ball onto the golf course green, which
in turn results in greater control over the movement of the instant golf
ball. Remarkably, the single radius provides a boring trajectory during
driver shots.

[0102] The radius (radius 1) for dimples 200 in the preferred embodiment
is about 0.7874 inches, the radius for dimples 202 is about 0.3325
inches, and the radius for dimples 204 is 0.3191 inches. However, it is
understood that the following dimple size ranges are within the scope of
this invention. Dimples 200 from the first set may have a diameter in
the range of 0.154 inches to 0.158 inches; dimples 202 from the second
set may have a diameter in the range of 0.142 to 0.147 inches; dimples
204 from the third set may have a diameter in the range of 0.140 to
0.144 inches and the radius may be in the range of 0.3150 to 0.3850
inches.

Crossposted to alt.machines.cnc because it's *interesting* G.

Added rec.crafts.metalworking for the same reason (a bit late) G
--
Cliff

Slighty off topic but,

many years ago my Dad was given a presentation box of golf balls
showing the various stages of their manufacture, from the core to the
winding of layers of elastic and the hard case etc.

Inspired by this, and in the infinite wisdom of a small child, I
decided to retrieve said bands from a golf ball I had picked up on a
walk.

So, with screwdriver in hand, I started to chip away at the outer case
and started to create a hole.

The first my parents knew of my success was hearing me screaming and
rushing through to the room to find me and the room covered in pink
liquid. Yup, there were no rubber bands in this one, just a lot of high
pressure gunge that squirted out of the ball, up my nose, in my mouth
and all over the room. it must have looked like a scene from a B movie,
me sitting in the room, drenched in this stuff screaming like only a
child can do.

/Heds

rigger

So, with screwdriver in hand, I started to chip away at the outer case
and started to create a hole.
The first my parents knew of my success was hearing me screaming and
rushing through to the room to find me and the room covered in pink
liquid.
Had a similar experience but with a small pocket knife instead of the
screwdriver and the room was colored red not pink. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

dennis
in nca

William Wixon

i did the same thing when i was like 7. golfball, knife, blood. like
around 1968.
chuckle they should print warnings on them things. my mother shoulda
sued. it's an "attractive danger" to kids. (they were kinda fun though
once you got the cover off, the ones with the wound up rubber bands. our
dog used to go nuts and they'd be like self-animated across the floor as the
rubber bands would unwind)

just now i wanted to see a picture of the rhombicosadodecahedron, did a
google search, this site is fun, click "prev." and "next"

http://math.arizona.edu/~caine/polyh...ecahedron.html

b.w.

Cliff

[
A priest, a doctor, and an engineer are playing golf. They are
becoming increasingly upset at the incredibly slow play of the
foursome in front of them. A groundskeeper happens by and they
complain. The groundskeeper explains, "Those are blind firefighters.
They all lost their vision putting out a fire that threatened to burn
down our clubhouse. Ever since then, we have let them play for free."
The priest said, "That is very touching. I shall say a special prayer
for them that they may find solace in the Lord as a reward for their
heroic act." The doctor said, "I have a colleague who is an excellent
ophthlamologist. I'll ask if she knows of any operation which will
restore their sight." The engineer said, "Why can't they play at
night?"
]

Dave Lyon

The first my parents knew of my success was hearing me screaming and
rushing through to the room to find me and the room covered in pink
liquid.
Had a similar experience but with a small pocket knife instead of the
screwdriver and the room was colored red not pink. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Count me among the not so bright. I sliced neatly across my wrist trying to
do the same thing. Of course I tried to hide the cut from my mother because
she had told us to quit doing that!