Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Thoughts

I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage
building. The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator
only needs to run for an hour or two at a time. The generator will
only be used occasionally, but, like most things, needs to work when
I need it.
FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey
for my needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice
the Honda generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there
are $99 generators on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing
out of me, because I don't recognize the brand and because, after
all, I need the darned thing to work when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

Presuming you GOT to this shed via a vehicle, consider a convertor that runs
off the vehicle's electrical system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for
my needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the
Honda generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99
generators on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me,
because I don't recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the
darned thing to work when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

You have a lot of contradictions in your post. First, get your priorities
straight.

You state:
needs to work when I need it.
I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are
a reliable, low cost generator

Most of us know that reliable and low cost don't go together very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Kyle Boatright wrote:
needs to work when I need it.

Translation: Honda needed

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my needs.

Translation: New Hondas are pricier than less robust brands and I
really don't care all that much about reliability.

I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda generators are.

Translation: I want a free lunch

there are $99 generators on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work when necessary.

Translation: I'm too impatient to do an eBay search for Honda and wait
for something in my price range to come along and now I've changed my
mind about reliablility.

There are dozens of sources for generators, so just gather info for a
while, then decide. Check out Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, and of
course, Froogle. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

The Generac units are generally perfectly reliable in light duty service
as you indicate. I have a 5kw that has done more than light duty and
never had a problem other than one carb clog when it go shutdown and
stored without running it dry. It has to be near 20 years old now and I
just used it a couple months ago to power a hammer drill while doing an
electrical upgrade.

For such a light load however, I'd really consider scraping up the $1k
for a Honda EU2000i or if your load really is under 1kw a Honda EU1000i
($700). Sure they cost more than cheapos, but they will be a lot more
reliable and long lasting. Get that no name $200 unit and the fifth time
you go to use it and spend an hour trying to get it running you'll be
kicking yourself for not getting the Honda. The Honda will also be a lot
quieter, lighter and use less gas.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are not very clear.. How many hours will it run in 5 years. A
cheapy might get you 250-350 hrs till it starts to burn oil . A midgrade
5000w OHV engine might get you 2-3000 hrs. A 1000w is a big load on a
little Honda to get maxiumum life but you might get 2-4000+ hrs. I just
saw a little chinese OHV 2000w unit that had stabile power for maybe
250$ All I know is it was blue. With the real cheap imports you take
your chances, who knows. The little Honda inverter is realy a clean
output power unit, not necessary for power tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

I agree with everyone else, but will go further.
What are you going to use the generator for?
Lights? Electronics? Pumps?
And if it doesn't work, how much does it matter?

Its a little like saying you want to buy a car, but can't afford a Honda;
what should you get?
Well, that all depends on what you want to use it for, doesn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator

Yeah: You've posed a textbook oxymoron.

I paid $1k for a Honda EU2000i

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...elName=eu2000i

two years ago. I have probably put 10-15 hours on it when "dry" camping.

One can stand DIRECTLY over it while it is running under FULL load and hold a
reasonably "normal" conversation.

Every time I pull the starter cord, it starts. It runs perfectly.

I like the security of knowing I can power my new gas furnace during a
protracted outage - all night if need be - without ****ing-off my neighbors
with noise.

I've heard the Yamaha line of quiet generators are as good and may even be
slightly less expensive.

You get what you pay for.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

I paid $1k for a Honda EU2000i

Every time I pull the starter cord, it starts. It runs perfectly.

Do you keep gas in it? How often do you change it?
Mine is maybe 5 years old. It kept my furnace, refrigerator, and freezer
going for 5 days during an outage; and you literally couldn't hear it from
the street.

My one complaint is that it is hard to start, on old gas. I am just
wondering what you do to get it to start on the first pull. Changing the
gas is a pain, but certainly makes starting easier. I start it once a month
just to keep everything moving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , kboatright1
@comcast.net (Kyle Boatright) says...
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

I have a little 2-cycle 1200 watt cheapie that I bought at Coastal Farm
Supply for $149. I assume it's the same as the eBay $99 specials. I
use it on hunting trips, mostly to charge up the travel trailer battery.
It has a 12 volt output that is pretty worthless, because a dead battery
will trip the breaker, but the 120v outlet will run the trailer's
battery charger. It will run for about 4.5 hours on a gallon of gas.

The voltage is pretty unstable. It uses an ignition interrupter to
prevent over-voltage on light loads, so lights attached to it will
flicker until you get about 500 watts load. Then it does pretty good up
to 1000 watts load, when the voltage starts to sag. It's down 10% at
1200 watts.

On the up side, it has been very reliable. I don't leave gas in it,
ever, even though there is a gas line shutoff. It is pretty quiet. If
I set it on the other side of my pickup, you can barely hear it inside
the travel trailer. The trailer furnace 12v blower makes a lot more
noise, and that furnace blower is the primary reason I need a generator
in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

for occasional use, take a look at Harbor Freight: from $ 239 to $ 7,000

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...ator&Submit=Go

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for
my needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the
Honda generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99
generators on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me,
because I don't recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the
darned thing to work when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller"
wrote:

Honda EU2000i
Every time I pull the starter cord, it starts. It runs perfectly.

Do you keep gas in it?

Yes.

How often do you change it?

I never CHANGE it, per se. I run the tank dry at the end of the camping
season.

Mine is maybe 5 years old. It kept my furnace, refrigerator, and freezer
going for 5 days during an outage; and you literally couldn't hear it from
the street.

That is certainly encouraging. There is no doubt that I paid extra simply for
the name "Honda" and also for the apparently considerable R&D that made the
unit so quiet. I would buy the same model again.

My one complaint is that it is hard to start, on old gas. I am just
wondering what you do to get it to start on the first pull.

Admittedly, it does NOT start on the FIRST pull when starting it for the FIRST
time after being stored for a couple of months or so. However, in this case,
it takes no more than two or three pulls. Subsequent restarts require an
almost-slight SINGLE pull.

Changing the gas is a pain, but certainly makes starting easier.

Like I said, I've never CHANGED the gas other than to RUN the thing dry. I'm
glad you replied, though. I'll make an even greater effort to ensure I don't
gum it up with old gas.

I start it once a month just to keep everything moving.

I'll probably now start doing that over the winter. Thanks.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

I echo the other poster who suggested if you drive to the shed get a 12
volt to 120 converter, really a inverter.

For a couple hundred bucks or less you have it availble not only for
shed detail but other activities, no generator wouldnt start hassles,
compact and light weight, absolitely quiet as your vehicle.

Best thing in a power outage you can use it at your home, no stale gas
issues. etc etc.

If you can drive to shed a inverter is a no brainer.....

I have one and use it for all sorts of wiierd stuff, dont tell your
friends you have one or they will be asking for help too....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the Coleman Powermate runs 1,000 watts. I did a froogle
search, and this was the closest I found

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com...or-632696.aspx

which is $609, and is 1800 watts.

What equipment do you want to run? Motors, lights, heaters, what?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I echo the other poster who suggested if you drive to the shed get a 12
volt to 120 converter, really a inverter.

For a couple hundred bucks or less you have it availble not only for
shed detail but other activities, no generator wouldnt start hassles,
compact and light weight, absolitely quiet as your vehicle.

Best thing in a power outage you can use it at your home, no stale gas
issues. etc etc.

If you can drive to shed a inverter is a no brainer.....

I have one and use it for all sorts of wiierd stuff, dont tell your
friends you have one or they will be asking for help too....

One warning on that though - a 1 kW inverter can *not* be operated from
your cigarette lighter outlet, it will melt. Inverters running over
about 250W sustained output need to be directly wired to the vehicle's
battery.

If you don't want to permanently install the inverter you can install
one of the heavy DC quick connects as sold for detachable winches. These
are nice since you can go all out and have an inverter, a winch and a
jumper cable that all plug into this DC outlet when needed.

As for the previous posters comments about gas, get a bottle of Stabil
fuel stabilizer. With it a tank of gas in the generator should be in
useable condition even after up to a year of storage. By adding it to
every tank of gas it will also help prevent clogged carbs.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:
I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

Buy a genuine GI surplus unit for about four hundred dollars. Coleman's
surplus is one vender that has them all the time.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think the Coleman Powermate runs 1,000 watts. I did a froogle
search, and this was the closest I found

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com...or-632696.aspx

which is $609, and is 1800 watts.

What equipment do you want to run? Motors, lights, heaters, what?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.

Two problems with that:

1) I've heard very bad things about the Coleman branded generators from
a professional generator service guy.

2) You can get a Honda EU1000i for $699 from Northern.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Pete C. :

One warning on that though - a 1 kW inverter can *not* be operated from
your cigarette lighter outlet, it will melt.

No, you'll blow the fuse.

Inverters running over
about 250W sustained output need to be directly wired to the vehicle's
battery.

Inverters rated at 200-300W and up usually come with heavy alligator
clips for direct battery connection - cigarette lighter fuses usually
are only 15A. My inverter (300W + 400W surge) has two sets of detachable
cables - one a alligator set, the other a lighter socket set.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Lewis wrote:

According to Pete C. :

One warning on that though - a 1 kW inverter can *not* be operated from
your cigarette lighter outlet, it will melt.

No, you'll blow the fuse.

That's the theory, however I have seen quite a few cigarette lighter
plugs that made such poor contact that they heated and melted the plug
at currents below the fuse rating.

Inverters running over
about 250W sustained output need to be directly wired to the vehicle's
battery.

Inverters rated at 200-300W and up usually come with heavy alligator
clips for direct battery connection - cigarette lighter fuses usually
are only 15A. My inverter (300W + 400W surge) has two sets of detachable
cables - one a alligator set, the other a lighter socket set.

I have the same inverter, it does a good job. 1 kW inverters draw to
high a load for alligator clips to be reliable, on the order of 83A not
counting inefficiencies. Currents in that range require hard connections
and/or connectors rated for high currents. The DC connectors used for
the winches typically are 175A continuous rated.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , (Pete C.)
says...

As for the previous posters comments about gas, get a bottle of Stabil
fuel stabilizer. With it a tank of gas in the generator should be in
useable condition even after up to a year of storage. By adding it to
every tank of gas it will also help prevent clogged carbs.

A year is pushing it, and small quantities don't stabilize as well as
large quantities. Sta-bil is an antibacterial that keeps sludge
bacteria from growing in water condensation mixed with the fuel. That
bacteria is one of the primary sources of injector and carburetor gum,
but it is not the only source.

Gasoline stored in an open container, like a gas tank, also loses its
lighter fractions to evaporation. The lighter fractions are what
evaporate and ignite easily when the engine is cold. This can result in
hard starting, even when the gasoline is otherwise OK.

By far the best way to store fuel is to rotate it often. I make up a
small engine mix in 5 gallon quantities. I add 2 oz. of non-alcohol
carb cleaner, 2 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil, and the recommended quantity
of Sta-Bil to every 5 gallon can, then fill it with gasoline. When the
mix is about 6 months old, I pour it into a vehicle and go buy new gas.

Two cycle mix is made from the 4-cycle mix, with the addition of 2.5 oz.
Red Line synthetic 2-cycle oil per gallon.

Every small engine fuel tank gets run dry at the end of its season, and
the 4-cycle engines get their oil changed with Castrol Syntec 5w-50. My
humble Briggs and Stratton engines run reliably for decades when treated
well. Even my el-cheapo $69 2-cycle leaf blower with the plastic intake
manifold starts immediately when it is needed. I have a lot of small
engines. Pressure washer, riding mower, push mower, 5000 watt
generator, 1200 watt generator, weed whacker, rototiller, chainsaw, leaf
blower and brush chipper. They are all 100% reliable.

One comment on generators. Since my large generator sometimes goes
years in between use, I not only run the tank dry, I drain the last few
dribbles out of the carburetor bowl, change the oil, pull the spark plug
and fog the cylinder with light oil, replace the spark plug and bag the
exhaust with a plastic baggie and rubber band to keep the bugs out.
Then I put it back in its cardboard shipping box, which keeps the dust
off. I bought it new in 1988, and it has run through three extended
power outages. That's an average of once every 5 years, so extra care
in putting it away really pays off. It has a Briggs and Stratton
engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Pete,
That is a concern. I do have a Coleman generator, and curious what
problems you've found. I bought it used, about 1998 or 99. Would have
to check the paper work, see what was the manufacture date. It is a
2200 watt, with 5 HP Briggs.
Pleased for any information you have.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message

Two problems with that:

1) I've heard very bad things about the Coleman branded generators
from
a professional generator service guy.

2) You can get a Honda EU1000i for $699 from Northern.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dear Pete,
That is a concern. I do have a Coleman generator, and curious what
problems you've found. I bought it used, about 1998 or 99. Would have
to check the paper work, see what was the manufacture date. It is a
2200 watt, with 5 HP Briggs.
Pleased for any information you have.

Recall short brush life (buy a few extra pairs) and issues with loss of
field and needing to be "repolarized" with a car battery.

At the time the Coleman's were all green and I recall him saying if he
sees someone bringing a green one towards the front door he'd retreat
out the back door.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm too tired to go check, but I think mine is black. Doubt it will
get enough use to go through a set of field brushes. But lost field in
the armature is possible. I really oughta run the beast more often.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dear Pete,
That is a concern. I do have a Coleman generator, and curious

what
problems you've found. I bought it used, about 1998 or 99. Would

have
to check the paper work, see what was the manufacture date. It is a
2200 watt, with 5 HP Briggs.
Pleased for any information you have.

Recall short brush life (buy a few extra pairs) and issues with loss
of
field and needing to be "repolarized" with a car battery.

At the time the Coleman's were all green and I recall him saying if he
sees someone bringing a green one towards the front door he'd retreat
out the back door.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I think the Coleman Powermate runs 1,000 watts. I did a froogle
search, and this was the closest I found

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com...or-632696.aspx

which is $609, and is 1800 watts.

What equipment do you want to run? Motors, lights, heaters, what?

Extremely occasional use at an airport location without electricity. I need
to run a 250w engine pre-heater 10 times a year for a couple of hours.
Concurrent with that, I'd probaby run a battery tender which would have a
very low draw.

I figure spending a few hundred bucks on a generator will be cheaper (but
less convenient) in the long run than running power to the hangar and paying
an electricity bill (and meter charge) every month.

KB

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I think the Coleman Powermate runs 1,000 watts. I did a froogle
search, and this was the closest I found

http://power-tools.hardwarestore.com...or-632696.aspx

which is $609, and is 1800 watts.

What equipment do you want to run? Motors, lights, heaters, what?

Extremely occasional use at an airport location without electricity. I need
to run a 250w engine pre-heater 10 times a year for a couple of hours.
Concurrent with that, I'd probaby run a battery tender which would have a
very low draw.

I figure spending a few hundred bucks on a generator will be cheaper (but
less convenient) in the long run than running power to the hangar and paying
an electricity bill (and meter charge) every month.

KB

Sounds well within the capability of a $60 inverter. Run it off your car
/ truck and never worry about getting a generator started, carrying a
gas can, noise, etc.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Pete C. :
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dear Pete,
That is a concern. I do have a Coleman generator, and curious what
problems you've found. I bought it used, about 1998 or 99. Would have
to check the paper work, see what was the manufacture date. It is a
2200 watt, with 5 HP Briggs.
Pleased for any information you have.

Recall short brush life (buy a few extra pairs) and issues with loss of
field and needing to be "repolarized" with a car battery.

During the great ice storm, a number of colemans caught fire.

A variety of issues. One of them was that US Colemans
(they imported thousands in a big rush) didn't meet CSA specs, and
had to be modified before resale, and sometimes they got it wrong.

Apparently, the instructions said that they already had oil,
but they didn't, or people simply weren't used to handling
4 stroke engines.

Mostly, however, it was simply a matter of trying to run a light
duty generator for too many days at a time.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
RMD RMD is offline

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:08:09 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

I've no doubt Honda units are very quiet, long lasting etc.

I've brought a couple of the el-cheapo generators. I don't have a
requirement of regular use, just for emergency use. Nor am I looking
for 1000's of hours of use. I've always got them to start quite easily
once I kept their fuel tanks dry until I wanted to use them. Keep the
fuel in a sealed container until needed.

It is a good idea to start them every now and again just to check them
(and also you too), otherwise you can forget silly things like fuel
cock positions, motor kill switches, etc.

It is important to note, that like all small engines/small fuel tanks,
fresh fuel is a real _must_ for good starting.

Fuel in small tanks seems to go bad quite easily and fairly quickly
too. Fuel in 16-20 gallon tanks seems to be fine even after years of
not being used, just not in tiny tanks like for unused outboards or
unused small generators or unused chainsaws.

Me, I'd try a cheapy and see if it will do the job for you. You can
only lose just a few dollars doing this.

I've got the inverters that run off a 12V car battery too. These are
fine for emergencies too. If you use them too regularly on a car
battery and deep cycle the battery, then car batteries don't cope well
with regular deep cycling and will fail fairly quickly under such use.

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Kyle Boatright wrote:

[...]

Yes, but... Parking a car at the airport and waiting around for a couple of
hours while the aircraft engine heater runs off of the car invertor isn't a
viable option...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rickandroll" wrote in message
oups.com...
You own a plane, but can't afford a grand for a good generator?!?!?

Yep. Unless you've got unlimited money (I certainly don't), you choose the
places to spend and the places to save. That lets me fund the things that
are priorities to me, such as flying.

FYI, my car has 220k miles, and I'm in no hurry to replace it... It'll
become a priority if/when it becomes unreliable.

KB

Kyle Boatright wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you preheat your engine with propane, or some other means? Sounds
like a LOT of work to heat a motor. As the other fine person
suggested, an inverter and run off the vehicle motor while the vehicle
is running. Filament heaters should run just fine off an inverter.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

Extremely occasional use at an airport location without electricity.
I need
to run a 250w engine pre-heater 10 times a year for a couple of hours.
Concurrent with that, I'd probaby run a battery tender which would
have a
very low draw.

I figure spending a few hundred bucks on a generator will be cheaper
(but
less convenient) in the long run than running power to the hangar and
paying
an electricity bill (and meter charge) every month.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Thoughts (and some painfully learned wisdom)

Can't remember, but I think mine may have a low oil shutdown. I know
my sisters did, and that gave them trouble. Ran for a full second, and
then died. It had oil the dipstick, but they didn't know why it was
dying. So, they went and bought another one. Gave me the old one. I
added four ounces oil, and it ran fine. Of course, I did change the
oil, and some other maint.

Traded the generator to my Dad, who left the gas in. A "helpful"
neighbor sprayed ether into the spark hole. Which dried the cylinder
walls. It set up and threw a piston rod through the side of the
engine.

It's OK to spray ether on the air filter, I've done that enough times.
When my carb gaskets are all dried out.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

During the great ice storm, a number of colemans caught fire.

A variety of issues. One of them was that US Colemans
(they imported thousands in a big rush) didn't meet CSA specs, and
had to be modified before resale, and sometimes they got it wrong.

Apparently, the instructions said that they already had oil,
but they didn't, or people simply weren't used to handling
4 stroke engines.

Mostly, however, it was simply a matter of trying to run a light
duty generator for too many days at a time.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, and he center posts.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"rickandroll" wrote in message
oups.com...
You own a plane, but can't afford a grand for a good generator?!?!?

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

One thing to think about is fuel storage - if it's a gas powered
generator, you need to run the carb and fuel lines dry , put stabilizer
in the gas, and even then you should occasionally swap out the gas.

Since most people don't do this, seldom-run gas generators are unlikely
to start reliably for more than a year or two.

If you really need reliable intermittent generator power, look at nat
gas or propane powered units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC" wrote:

One thing to think about is fuel storage - if it's a gas powered
generator, you need to run the carb and fuel lines dry , put stabilizer
in the gas, and even then you should occasionally swap out the gas.

Since most people don't do this, seldom-run gas generators are unlikely
to start reliably for more than a year or two.

If you really need reliable intermittent generator power, look at nat
gas or propane powered units.

Nat. gas or propane for a 1 kW *portable* generator????? On what planet
is that practical?

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you really need reliable intermittent generator power, look at nat
gas or propane powered units.

Nat. gas or propane for a 1 kW *portable* generator????? On what planet
is that practical?

Pete C.

you can buy natural gas and propane small generators, pricey because
theres little demand, the regulator and mixing valves arent a big deal.

derate gasoline generators about 20% when run on natural gas or propane
since they have less energy than gasoline

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

If you really need reliable intermittent generator power, look at nat
gas or propane powered units.

Nat. gas or propane for a 1 kW *portable* generator????? On what planet
is that practical?

Pete C.

you can buy natural gas and propane small generators, pricey because
theres little demand, the regulator and mixing valves arent a big deal.

derate gasoline generators about 20% when run on natural gas or propane
since they have less energy than gasoline

I'm well aware that you can get small generators in multi fuel though
I've never seen it on one below about 5kW.

The point is that the small multi fuel generator might be portable, but
the nat. gas or propane are not. Sure you could drag along and manifold
a couple 20# BBQ propane tanks, but that doesn't fit my definition of
portable. Certainly not compared to the ~55# complete Honda EU1000i for
about $700.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Well they tend to be multi fuel, take to a job site run on gasoline.
Put oputside your home, connect natural gas or propane hose to quick
disconnect that at other times might be used for gas grill.

Natural gas burns clean, doesnt gum up when unused either. Its really
simple to conver even a small gasoline engine to natural gas. I have a
friend who has done that but he runs his car and jeep on CNG at 1500
PSI.