Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Generator Thoughts

According to Pete C. :
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Dear Pete,
That is a concern. I do have a Coleman generator, and curious what
problems you've found. I bought it used, about 1998 or 99. Would have
to check the paper work, see what was the manufacture date. It is a
2200 watt, with 5 HP Briggs.
Pleased for any information you have.

Recall short brush life (buy a few extra pairs) and issues with loss of
field and needing to be "repolarized" with a car battery.

During the great ice storm, a number of colemans caught fire.

A variety of issues. One of them was that US Colemans
(they imported thousands in a big rush) didn't meet CSA specs, and
had to be modified before resale, and sometimes they got it wrong.

Apparently, the instructions said that they already had oil,
but they didn't, or people simply weren't used to handling
4 stroke engines.

Mostly, however, it was simply a matter of trying to run a light
duty generator for too many days at a time.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est