Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Generator Thoughts

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I need a small generator for use at an isolated outside storage building.
The power demand is 1,000 watts or less and the generator only needs to run
for an hour or two at a time. The generator will only be used occasionally,
but, like most things, needs to work when I need it.

FYI, I've looked at Honda generators, but their units are too pricey for my
needs. I simply can't justify the cost, regardless of how nice the Honda
generators are. At the other end of the spectrum, there are $99 generators
on Ebay (2 strokes), but those scare the stuffing out of me, because I don't
recognize the brand and because, after all, I need the darned thing to work
when necessary.

Any thoughts for a reliable, low cost generator that'll fit the bill?

The Generac units are generally perfectly reliable in light duty service
as you indicate. I have a 5kw that has done more than light duty and
never had a problem other than one carb clog when it go shutdown and
stored without running it dry. It has to be near 20 years old now and I
just used it a couple months ago to power a hammer drill while doing an
electrical upgrade.

For such a light load however, I'd really consider scraping up the $1k
for a Honda EU2000i or if your load really is under 1kw a Honda EU1000i
($700). Sure they cost more than cheapos, but they will be a lot more
reliable and long lasting. Get that no name $200 unit and the fifth time
you go to use it and spend an hour trying to get it running you'll be
kicking yourself for not getting the Honda. The Honda will also be a lot
quieter, lighter and use less gas.

Pete C.