Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do time delay fuses control power in the house?

I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours, Edison
restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off the
main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back on,
but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside with
two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the
partial power loss?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a low cost VOM, you can find one at Radio Shack for $20. Then you
can test fuses, etc. You can also test it with some jumpers and any
available battery powered small load, by just putting it in series.

What in the house is not working? Normally time delay fuses are used
on loads that take a larger start current, ie A/C, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi- There are three rooms without power from the outlets and ceiling
lights. The funny thing is in our bedroom, some outlets work and some
don't. I plugged in a radio in a working outlet in the house and it
works. Edison came out and checked the main breaker and GFI outlet and
everything is fine. Looks like i'll have to call an electrician. A
friend mentioned i should check all the wall outlets for a loose wire
that may be shorted out if they are in a series.By the way, the time
delay fuses are for the A/C so that rules out the power loss in the
house. Bob.
wrote:
Get a low cost VOM, you can find one at Radio Shack for $20. Then you
can test fuses, etc. You can also test it with some jumpers and any
available battery powered small load, by just putting it in series.

What in the house is not working? Normally time delay fuses are used
on loads that take a larger start current, ie A/C, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How come you did not buy a tester yet? The least you can do is be
sure there is voltage one each breaker or fuse.....
Those small neon testers are only a couple bucks.
If there is voltage at each breaker or fuse, then you might have a
wiring problem and may need an electrician if you cant do it yourself.
But at least check to be sure you got power on each breaker/fuse.
Breakers can be defective, and fuses can appear good, yet be blown.

------------------------

wrote:
Get a low cost VOM, you can find one at Radio Shack for $20. Then you
can test fuses, etc. You can also test it with some jumpers and any
available battery powered small load, by just putting it in series.

What in the house is not working? Normally time delay fuses are used
on loads that take a larger start current, ie A/C, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:19:08 GMT, CJT wrote:

wrote:
Could be - put a meter on it in ohm setting to see if the fuse is
blown. It should show nearly zero resistance - if not the fuse should
be replaced.

be sure to remove it from the panel first :-)

wrote:

I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours, Edison
restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off the
main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back on,
but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside with
two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the
partial power loss?

I was thinking the same thing.
Best to test it removed from the box. Place it in your hand and test
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I sure hope you post a follow up, and instuct the H.O. how to ohm a
fuse safely, without exploding the meter by connecting ohms across a
230 volt potential. You trying to kill the guy, suggesting he ohm out
his fuses?

Hint: Take the F_ _ _ out of the P_ _ _ _ so that you don't fry your A
_ _ off by following incomplete advice off the internet.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...

wrote:
I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours,

Edison
restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off

the
main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back

on,
but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside

with
two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the
partial power loss?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be sure to thank God tonight that you don't. If you'd tried that, you
would possibly have fried yourself.

Please call the power co back, an electrician, a handyman, or a lady
with the alligator purse. I'm not kidding when I say that you can kill
yourself by sticking things into an electrical box.

The other guy suggesting you test the fuses did you no favors.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't have a meter tester. Do hardware stores generally have a
service where they test fuses for customers?

wrote:
I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours,

Edison
restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned

off the
main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back

on,
but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside

with
two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of

the
partial power loss?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets please not be telling the guy to reach into the electric box.....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
news
Or you could just buy 2 fuses and change them. Never hurts to have
spares anyhow.

You might have a dead leg on your mains too. Thats why you need a
tester of some sort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:37:17 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I sure hope you post a follow up, and instuct the H.O. how to ohm a
fuse safely, without exploding the meter by connecting ohms across a
230 volt potential. You trying to kill the guy, suggesting he ohm out
his fuses?

That's one of the things I'm likely to forget to mention, since I've
known it so long. You don't use an ohmmeter on a circuit with power
supplied.

Hint: Take the F_ _ _ out of the P_ _ _ _ so that you don't fry your A
_ _ off by following incomplete advice off the internet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 10 Aug 2006 07:56:05 -0700, "
wrote:

Could be - put a meter on it in ohm setting to see if the fuse is
blown. It should show nearly zero resistance - if not the fuse should
be replaced.

Never measure ohms without measuring voltage first. Only if there
are zero volts should one try to measure ohms. Even with overload
protection, that some meters have, one might burn out the meter
otherwise.

wrote:
I lost power in the house the other day and after several hours, Edison
restored the power, however we only have partial power I turned off the
main circuit breaker for a couple of minutes, then flipped it back on,
but i still have only partial power. I found another panel outside with
two Shawmut tr50r time delay fuses. Could these be the cause of the
partial power loss?

It's generally less likely that time delay fuses will burn out, and
there is nothing special about a power failure that would change this.

I see they are on your AC. Well, your AC stops and then starts over
and over, and restarting after a power failure isn't much different
from restarting after anything else.

more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Ownership 56 September 7th 04 06:20 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM