Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Off Topic - Car Exhaust Tips Needed

Yeah, this is off topic, well not completely because I am REPAIRING my
car at HOME.

The flange rusted out on my Chevy engine where the pipe connects to
the engine Exhaust manifold. First the flange rusted then the "donut"
deteriorated. The pipe goes to the catalytic converter. Both the
converter and pipe are still solid. The problem is that in order to
get the flange onto the pipe, I must remove the pipe from the cat.
converter. The nuts of the clamp came off easily and I removed the
clamp. Now comes the problem. What is the best way, or should I say
are there any tips or tricks to get the pipe out of the converter
without damaging either of them? So far I applied PB Blaster and
tried to do some hammering, but nothing moved. The clamp was not on
seriously tight so there is not much deformation of the pieces.

However, I know that pounding real hard around the converter will
damage the "guts" inside of it. I also dont want to damage that pipe.
By theway, the pipe is only a little over a foot long, and is a 90deg.
bend.

I have taken apart pipes and mufflers when one or the other is going
to be replaced, by chopping out the broken piece, but this is a first.
I want to save both, just get it apart to install the flange onto the
pipe. Anyone know of any tricks?

Dont bother telling me to replace all the parts. I cant afford them,
and I dont replace parts that are still good.
I did and still am considering cutting the new flange in half,
slipping the halves around the pipe, and welding them back together.
That might be my only option, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
other suggestions first.

(I have a stick welder, but not a cutting torch.)

Note: They do make some hinged type "split flanges", but none for this
particular vehicle.

All help appreciated.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Exhaust Tools INC does make a tool to seperate the pipes without
damaging either....I have two of them....(one for 2 to 2 1/2 inch
pipes and the oter for 2 1/12 to 3 inch pipes)...

They work very well and do not damage either pipe...

Unfortunately I believe the cost of the tool(s) would exceed the cost
of replacing the parts.... I restore old cars as a hobby and I have
a need to remove old exhaust systems enough to justify owning the
tools (thats honestly questionable)...

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet, and open your
wallet, ....

I do not know if the manufacturer even has a web site...just a small
outfit that was selling these tools at a swap meet in Hershey Pa
and Carlisle Pa few years ago...

BTW: I hate exhaust work...!

Bob G.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:05:40 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

try rec.autos.tech