Posted to rec.woodworking
malathan_A_T_comcast.net

Default Plywood - how to keep from warping and buying tips needed

I have several Home Depots near me as well as Lowes. Particularly the
Home Depots, which I visit more frequent, I am finding most of they
smaller sheet plywoods are warped. They store them on end standing
up. I was looking at 1/4" 2' x 4' boards and ALL of them were warped
(~20 boards). It this normal? Is standing them on end the prefered
way to store plywood or lumber in general? When I do this, and lean
the boards against the wall, within a few months I find the board
start bowing.

Sorry if my questions seem somewhat nieve, but I am just beginning in
woodworking and am still learning. Spent year slowling collecting
tools (had money for either tools or wood, not both). At point where
I finished a good solid workbench, have a good tablesaw (Ridgid 3650),
Mid-sized router with plunge base, Delta 13" planer, small dust
collector, ... Next purchase looking at is band saw. This is where
I am fighting the "what I need, what I want, and what I can afford"
scenario.

- Clayton
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 02:04:51 -0700, malathan_A_T_comcast.net wrote:

[...]

Ideally, plywood should be stored flat. Also, if one side is dryer
than the other side, it will warp.

Home Depot's prices are high when buying wood. I buy the highest
quality tools I can find, and buy the cheapest wood. I get much wood
for free from fallen trees. When buying tools, buy as you need them.
Quality hand tools are always useful, lat a long time, and still
useful after buying power tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

What Borg have you been going to that stores any sheet flat? The ones
around here store their sheets on racks that have three horizontal support
beams. The beams in the middle are higher than the ends. Built in warp.

"Howard" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you do need small plywood sheets and must buy from HD or Lowes, buy
a whole sheet that has been stored flat and have them cut it to the
size(s) you need. Most places will make the cuts for free or 50 cents
each. Compared to the cost for warped but smaller sheets you are even
or ahead.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you do need small plywood sheets and must buy from HD or Lowes, buy
a whole sheet that has been stored flat and have them cut it to the
size(s) you need.

malathan_A_T_comcast.net wrote:
I was looking at 1/4" 2' x 4' boards and ALL of them were warped

As you can see, he was looking for 14" plywood. The Borgs only have them in
2 x 4 sheets so buying a large on from a flat pile is not an option.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

When you need it to be flat see if they have "Russian" or "Baltic" Birch.
My store has the Russian in smaller sizes only. These are also closer to
the nominal dim, but are poss. metric though; easier for tooling. It is
wise to know products that are, mdf is very close, consistently, to the
actually nominal dim stated.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 02:04:51 -0700, malathan_A_T_comcast.net wrote:

I have several Home Depots near me as well as Lowes. Particularly the
Home Depots, which I visit more frequent, I am finding most of they
smaller sheet plywoods are warped. They store them on end standing
up. I was looking at 1/4" 2' x 4' boards and ALL of them were warped
(~20 boards). It this normal? Is standing them on end the prefered
way to store plywood or lumber in general? When I do this, and lean
the boards against the wall, within a few months I find the board
start bowing.

Menard's stores them like that as well, and warping is always a
problem. At the hardwood dealer, the plywood is laid flat on racks,
and it's always in nice shape. It's hard to keep them flat at home,
though- I usually buy plywood only as needed, so that it doesn't get
stored on edge.

Sorry if my questions seem somewhat nieve, but I am just beginning in
woodworking and am still learning. Spent year slowling collecting
tools (had money for either tools or wood, not both).

I hear ya. I spent the first several years using recycled two by
fours for almost everything.