Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default Off Topic - Car Exhaust Tips Needed

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Yeah, this is off topic, well not completely because I am REPAIRING my
car at HOME.

The flange rusted out on my Chevy engine where the pipe connects to
the engine Exhaust manifold. First the flange rusted then the "donut"
deteriorated. The pipe goes to the catalytic converter. Both the
converter and pipe are still solid. The problem is that in order to
get the flange onto the pipe, I must remove the pipe from the cat.
converter. The nuts of the clamp came off easily and I removed the
clamp. Now comes the problem. What is the best way, or should I say
are there any tips or tricks to get the pipe out of the converter
without damaging either of them?

soak it in solvent oil overnight, dry throughly, apply torch. you can
hitch the bend to something solid, like your garage or your house, get
the joint hot and heave away. tap with deadblow hammer from time to
time.

1. Rec.autos. tech, and groups near there, will probably get you more
answers.

2. Having said that- I'd pay the fifty bucks and have a muffler shop do it,
up on a lift, with a smoke wrench. Some chores are just so filty miserable
and nasty, that it is worth paying for somebody with the right tools who
does it every day. The pipe itself is cheap, and even if it seems solid, is
likely getting thin, especially in the tight corners.

aem sends...